Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

The Licensing Act 2003 provides for ‘a light touch process’ for temporary or ad-hoc events of a small nature that involve the sale of alcohol and the provision of music that don’t need a full licence. Only Thames Valley Police or The Council's Environmental Health service can object to a Temporary Event Notice.

There are two types of TEN. A standard TEN must be submitted at least ten clear working days before the first day of an event, or a late TEN less than nine and more than five working days before the event. Working days do not include the day the notice is served or the day of the event.

A notice received five working days or less before the first day of the event will therefore be rejected.

A number of limitations are imposed on the use of TENs by the Licensing Act 2003:

  • the number of times a premises user may give a TEN is 50 times in a calendar year for a personal licence holder and 5 times in a calendar year for other people
  • the number of times a premises user may give a late TEN is limited to 10 times in a calendar year for a personal licence holder and 2 for other people
  • the maximum duration of an event authorised by a TEN is 168 hours (seven days)
  • the number of times a TEN may be given for any particular premises is 15 times in a calendar year
  • the maximum total duration of the events authorised by TENs in relation to individual premises is 21 days in a calendar year
  • the maximum number of people attending at any one time is 499; and
  • the minimum period between events authorised under separate TENs in relation to the same premises (not including withdrawn TENs) by the same premises user is 24 hours

What is the process?

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice on line or by post. A fee of £21 is payable with the notice. The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice.

If you apply by post, you must also send a copy to the Thames Valley Police Licensing, TVP Headquarters (South), Kidlington, Oxfordshire, OX5 2NX. If you apply on line, we will send it to the police on your behalf.

If either the Police or Environmental Health are concerned that the TEN will undermine the licensing objectives they may serve an objection notice.

The licensing objectives

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • Prevention of public nuisance; and
  • Protection of children from harm

Where an objection notice is served a hearing will be arranged to determine whether a counter notice will be issued, preventing the event going ahead. If you serve a late TEN, and it is objected to, the event cannot proceed and there is no appeal.

Counter notices will be issued if the limitation on the number of TENs served is exceeded.  

There is a requirement for all TENS applicants to comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Please review the links below for advice on how to comply and test your compliance with the Reform Order:

Fire safety and risk assessment

Fire and emergencies

Is the notification authorised if you do not hear from the Licensing Authority? - (Tacit Consent)

Tacit consent applies to a Temporary Event Notice if no relevant objections are made during a period of three working days after the notice has been received by the Police and Environmental Health. This date is known as the ‘last date for representation’. If relevant objections are made, tacit consent does not apply and a hearing must be held to determine your application. The hearing will normally be held within 10 working days of you submitting your TEN.

How to apply

Apply online

Guidance for online applicants

Or download notification form below and submit online with payment:

Temporary Event Notice form / Submit online with payment here

If applying by post, the premises user, at the same time of serving the TEN on the Licensing Authority, must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police department, by sending a copy to: Licensing, TVP Headquarters (South), Kidlington, Oxfordshire, OX5 2NX.

The chief police officer who receives a notice can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user.