Animal activity licence (boarding)

Licensable activities involving animals and the relevant establishments

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 covers animal licensing. This includes home dog boarding, dog day care, boarding dogs in kennels and boarding cats.

From 1 October 2018, all applications and renewals will be under these regulations.  Read the 'new regulations' here.

If you're providing board for any dog or cat in the course of a business, including in a private dwelling, you will need a licence from the local authority.  The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other conditions.

A local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

How can I apply?

From 1 February 2022 the statutory guidance has been refreshed. The statutory guidance contains the licence conditions, the guidance to help you to achieve the licence and higher standards that can also be achieved. Please contact us if you need assistance with the application on 01908 252504.

The statutory guidance relates to the below activities.

You can apply via one of the following options:


  • Send the completed form to our team by post or email, either with a cheque made out to Milton Keynes City Council or a contact number on the form where we can contact you to take payment. You will find our address on the form.

How much does the licence cost?

Animal Licensing fees 2024 - 2025

These fees may change on 1 April each year.

Trading Standards Team

Trading Standards Team contact information

  • 0808 223 1133 (freephone) - Consumer advice and complaints

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ