Investigating complaints of odour under statutory nuisance

The city council is able to investigate complaints about odour from commercial premises under the statutory nuisance provision of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This legislation does not include odour from domestic premises.

To constitute a statutory nuisance the odour must interfere with an individual's use and enjoyment of their property and be excessive and unreasonable. It has to be more than simply an annoyance and we can't take action unless the odour is affecting you at your home or place of work.

When reporting an odour to us, please provide the following information: 

  • Location of the source of the odour - you will be asked to provide the address or location of where the odour is coming from. 
  • Your name address and contact details. Anonymous complaints will not be investigated.

You can contact us about bonfires between 9am - 5.15pm Monday to Friday on 01908 252398 or by reporting it at Pollution - MyCouncil (milton-keynes.gov.uk)

Sources of odour

These are some of the odours we commonly investigate:

  • Extraction from restaurants and takeaways
  • Industrial processes
  • Sewage treatment plants and pumping stations
  • Agricultural odours

We expect the businesses to provide us with information as to how they're controlling odours emanating from their premises. 

Bletchley Landfill

The landfill operates under an environmental permit from the Environment Agency. Therefore any problems regarding odours need to be reported to them as they regulate and enforce the conditions of the permit, including those that relate to odour.

You can make a report to the Environment Agency on their incident hotline - 0800 807060 or on their email at incident_communication_service@environment-agency.gov.uk and explain that it is in relation to the permitted process at Bletchley Landfill.

You can find more information on how the Environment Agency regulate odours at the site on the agency's community information page