Disabled Person's bus pass

Eligibility for a Disabled Person's bus pass

You must be over 5 years of age and meet one of the following:

  • be blind or partially sighted
  • be profoundly or severely deaf
  • be without speech
  • have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
  • have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind that started before adulthood and includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  •  would be refused a licence to drive a motor vehicle, should an application be made under Part III of the Road Transport Act 1988, under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

How to apply for or renew a Disabled Person's bus pass

You can apply for a bus pass using our online application form. Or a family member or friend can help you by completing it on your behalf.  

Please ensure that you have electronic copies of your photograph and documents as evidence of your disability, before completing the form. If you are renewing your pass you can use your existing photo but we will still need current documents as evidence of your disability. 

Please allow 10 to 15 working days for your bus pass to arrive at your address.

Please note that renewal reminders will not be sent out to you.

Milton Keynes City Council will not refund bus pass fares incurred while applications for new or replacement passes are being processed.

You will need to provide evidence of a disability.  Please submit a copy of one of the following documents with your application:

  • a registration card stating that you are either severely sight impaired (blind), sight impaired (partially sighted) deaf or without speech
  • a Certificate of Vision Impairment
  • a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that you are currently in receipt of the higher rate of the Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • a photocopy of your letter of entitlement to the Personal Independence Payment qualifying you under the moving around or communicating verbally section(s)
  • a letter from Milton Keynes Council's Adult Social Care or Learning Disabilities Team confirming that you have a Learning Disability
  • a recent letter from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) confirming that you are medically unfit to drive and have surrendered your licence
  • a letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency confirming that you are in receipt of War Pensioner's Mobility supplement
  • a copy of your Milton Keynes Council Disabled Parking Permit number

Companion passes

Milton Keynes City Council does not issue companion passes. Companion passes issued by other authorities are not valid for travel within Milton Keynes.

Lost, damaged or stolen bus passes

If your card becomes lost, damaged or stolen please telephone Milton Keynes City Council.  A new one will be issued to you as long as the pass has not expired.  A £10 non-refundable charge is made for all lost, damaged or stolen passes.  If your lost, damaged or stolen card has expired then you will need to complete a renewal form.

The benefits of a Disabled Person’s bus pass

Holders of a Disabled Person's Bus Pass are entitled to free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England. Off-peak means any service from 09:30 up to 23:00 Monday to Friday or anytime on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

Milton Keynes bus pass holders can also:

  • travel on buses within (but not outside of) Milton Keynes UA from midnight until 09:29 Monday to Friday for just 50p per journey
  • travel for free between 23:00 and midnight

Older Persons Disabled Bus Card contact information

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ