Milton Keynes City Council is commending the climate change work of the first five local businesses who have been accepted for its Target Zero climate action scheme.
Through Target Zero, the City Council is recognising small to medium size businesses (SMEs) who have a clear business objective to become carbon negative by 2030, putting them ahead of UK targets set by government for businesses to reach net zero emissions by 2050.
To be accepted for Target Zero, businesses must have a clear strategy which demonstrates how they will achieve their climate action ambitions. Their strategy must be formally assessed and accepted by the City Council’s sustainability team before they can use the Target Zero certification mark.
MK City Council set up Target Zero to help SMEs visibly demonstrate their climate action commitments, helping to make them more attractive to customers, suppliers, and partners. Recognised companies will also be invited to share ideas and work collectively to achieve their sustainability goals, receiving the support of other like-minded companies.
The first five Milton Keynes businesses to achieve formal Target Zero recognition are:
- Clear Sight opticians. A family-run business with a 28-year presence in Milton Keynes, the Westcroft clinic specialises in dry-eye consultations. https://www.clearsightvisioncare.co.uk/
- Uplatz global IT training service provider. Uplatz has trained more than a million students in data science, cloud computing, block chain and more through its online platform. https://training.uplatz.com/
- Smart Rasberry Cookery School. Smart Rasberry has run afterschool clubs, birthday parties, and experiences in cookery and domestic skills for a decade. On target to be Net Zero by 2025. https://www.smartraspberry.com
- MumPod Company Limited Launched in spring 2021, MumPod offers solutions for employers and business owners to support their pregnant and breastfeeding employees, visitors and service users. https://mum-pod.com/
- Debouge Tech. Specialises in IT infrastructure, data protection, telecom systems and helping organisations to build their brands. On target to be Net Zero by 2025. https://debouge.co.uk/
Businesses interested in receiving Target Zero recognition should visit www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/target-zero for more information.