Plans checklist

Building notice applications

Complete the application form and send to the building control team.

If you’re planning to build a new building or extension, you must provide a block plan, to a scale of no less than 1:1250, showing the size and position of the building, or the building as extended, and its relationship to adjoining boundaries. You will also need to provide information about the drainage. If your extension is less than 10 square metres internally, you must also submit a sketch showing the internal measurements.

You may be required to provide more detailed information similar to the full plans application (see items 2 to 4 below). This will be requested in a notice attached to your building notice acknowledgement and will normally be required for all types of controllable works, except very simple alterations (e.g. to above or below ground drainage) or small extensions (e.g. single storey single room extensions comprising traditional construction). This information should be provided in advance of work starting.

Full plans applications

The following documentation must be provided in duplicate. Where the building use is designated under the Fire Precautions Act 1971 or is subject to the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997, an additional copy of plans showing fire precautions must also be submitted. Note: projects for commercial buildings can only submit this type of application and not a building notice.

  1. application form and Block Plan as required for a Building Notice
  2. fully dimensioned and annotated plans, sections and elevations showing proposed and existing details
  3. complete specification details for each component to be used in the construction
  4. details relating to the existing site conditions, which include:

- gradients and changes in the level of the site and adjacent land

- size, type and location of any trees or hedges within 30 metres of the proposed building

- location, depth, diameter and direction of flow of drains and sewers and location of any manholes and inspections chambers, including the location of any wells and soak-aways

Building Control

Building Control contact information

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ