Managing your money

The National Autistic Society have put together some training for young people to support with managing money.

Managing Money - Training Module for Autistic Young People

The module provides general information on how to manage money, set up a bank account, use a cashpoint, and so on. It offers real life experiences and scenario based learning. It can be completed in one visit or accessed section by section over as many visits as required.

This FREE training course is offered by in association with the National Autistic Society.

The National Autistic Society have provided some information about some of the ways you receive money, you might get money from more than one of these sources.   


This is the money you get for doing a job, if you are in paid employment. The amount you get depends upon the number of hours you work and the rate of pay agreed (between you and your employer) per hour.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

This is a benefit that is paid to disabled people. It is to help with the extra costs of being disabled, so you have the same chances to take part in life as other people.

You can claim DLA if you:

  • have a physical impairment or a learning difficulty or mental health support needs
  • need someone to support you, or you have difficulty walking and getting about because of your impairment 
  • have needed this support for at least three months and it is likely to continue for at least another six months 

DLA has two parts called ‘components’:

  • care component - if you need help looking after yourself or support to keep you safe
  • mobility component - if you can’t walk or find it very hard to walk, or you need help getting around

You can get DLA whether you work or not - the amount you get is to do with your support needs and impairment you have; it is not to do with how much money you have coming in.

To find out how much this benefit may be worth or to apply for this benefit visit the government website.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This benefit helps disabled people live full, active and independent lives. Disabled people who can get this benefit, will get money to help them pay the extra costs of being disabled. It is:

  • based on how your condition affects you, not the condition you have
  • for people aged between 16-64

PIP has two parts - a 'daily living' part and a 'mobility needs' part. Each part has two different rates, a standard rate and a higher rate for people with the greatest needs.

Activities covered by the 'daily living' part include:

  • preparing food
  • eating and drinking
  • managing your treatments
  • washing
  • managing your toilet needs
  • getting dressed and undressed
  • communicating
  • reading
  • mixing with other people
  • making decisions about money

Activities covered by the 'mobility' part include:

  • going out
  • moving about

You will be asked how well you can do these activities and how much help you need. To be eligible, you must

  • have needed help with these activities for at least three months
  • be likely to need help for nine more months.

For more information and to find out how much this benefit may be worth or to apply visit the government website.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

You may be eligible for this benefit if you find it harder to get a job because you have:

  • a disability
  • a problem with your health and will have this problem for a long time or the rest of your life

You make a claim for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) by telephoning Jobcentre Plus. You will need to answer some questions and will probably need to have a medical assessment with a doctor or nurse. After your assessment you are put in one of two groups:

  • the support group - this is for people who find it very hard to work and get a paid job although they may do voluntary work for a few hours each week that is not paid (doing voluntary work might help you to get a paid job in the future)
  • the work-related activity group - this is for people who, with the right help and support, can learn skills to help them work and get a paid job
    If you are in this group, you will have to go to six interviews with an adviser who will try to help you get ready to work - you must go to all these interviews to carry on getting your full amount of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

The group you are in affects how much money you get and what you need to do to keep the benefit.

Claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and doing ‘permitted work’

If you claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) on the basis that you have limited capability for work, you would normally expect the benefit to stop if you start working. There are certain situations where you can do some paid work and keep your Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). This is known as ‘permitted work’.

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and full-time education

If you are in full-time education and are getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you can still apply for income-related Employment Support Allowance (ESA). Whether a course is full-time depends on the type of course and where you are studying.

Part-time students are eligible to claim regardless of whether they get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

To find out more information and how much this benefit may be worth or to apply for this benefit visit the government website.

Personal Budgets

If you need financial help towards the cost of care and support, you may be able to apply for an adult social care plan. This plan looks at what care and support you need.

To get this help you will need to show that:

  • you have a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • your illness or impairment stops you from doing two or more things (they call these outcomes) that are important to you
  • not doing these things are making you very sad and may be affecting your health

We may help to pay for this support through an adult social care personal budget. Your adult social care plan should be checked every year to make sure that it is meeting your needs.

Paying your bills

There are many ways to pay for the things you buy (called goods) or for paying bills for services.

Some of the ways to pay include:

  • Cash – the most common way to pay for everyday purchases

  • Cheques – a way to pay money into, or out of your bank account

  • Debit card – a way to pay for goods and services. You can also use it for getting cash from your bank or a cashpoint machine (also called an automated teller machine (ATM))

  • Credit card – a way to pay for goods and services on credit (you are borrowing money and will need to pay it back)

  • Direct debit – a regular payment from your bank account, commonly used for paying regular bills

  • Internet/phone transfer – known as online banking, a way to manage your bank account using your computer, tablet or mobile phone

SEND Team contact information

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ


SENDIAS contact information

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ