Hiring out horses

Who requires a licence?

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in England, you need a licence from the local authority.

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 covers the hiring out of horses. 

Under the new regulations there are General conditions and specific conditions for hiring out horses, which you will need to meet before a licence can be issued.

Read the new regulations here

From 1 February 2022 the statutory guidance has been refreshed. The statutory guidance contains the licence conditions, guidance to help you to achieve the conditions and higher standards that can also be achieved.

The licence inspection is carried out by officers of Milton Keynes Council and a suitably qualified vet. An annual inspection is also required and the Council will arrange this with a suitably qualified vet. The licence applicant will have to pay for the cost of these vet inspections and the licence fee.

The licence will be issued subject to compliance with licence conditions and payment of the licence fee.

How much will the licence cost?

Animal Licensing fees 2024 - 2025

How do I apply?

Once you have read the above conditions and guidance, you can download an application form (PDF, 66KB) to complete and return to Milton Keynes Council with payment. Alternatively, it can be submitted online with supporting documentation and payment Licensing Application Licence Type Form - MyCouncil (milton-keynes.gov.uk)

Horse Riding establishments currently Licensed by Milton Keynes Council

  • Ride High, Loughton
Trading Standards Team

Trading Standards Team contact information

  • 0808 223 1133 (freephone) - Consumer advice and complaints

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ