How to report underage sales

If you have identified a shop or individual selling an age restricted product to a child and you would like to report it, please use our Underage Sales Report It form.

Age restricted products

The list below is a list of items which are age restricted and  minimum age for purchasers is shown in brackets

- Tobacco products (Including cigarette papers) (18 and over)

- Nicotine Inhaling Products (Vapes / e-cigarettes and refills containing nicotine) (18 and over)

- Alcohol (18 and over)

- Offensive weapons, including knives, crossbows, airguns and pellets (18 and over)

- Caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throw-downs (16 and over)

- Fireworks and sparklers (18 and over)

- Videos and video computer games (12, 15 and 18 and over - see classification)

- Solvents (18 and over)

- Butane cigarette lighter refills (18 and over)

- Aerosol spray paints (16 and over)

- Botox and fillers (18 and over)

Selling products to children under the legal age is a criminal offence.

It's also a criminal offence to buy tobacco, vapes or alcohol on behalf of a person who is under 18.

Proof of age schemes

Most retailers operate a policy of asking for proof of age if a person looks under 21 or 25.  This is supported by Milton Keynes Trading Standards who recommend retailers ask for either a passport, drivers licence or “PASS” approved ID card.

Trading Standards Team

Trading Standards Team contact information

  • 0808 223 1133 (freephone) - Consumer advice and complaints

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ