Your Rights

What to do if you’re being discriminated against

If you think you’ve been unfairly discriminated against you can:

  • complain directly to the person or organisation (including the council if it is a council complaint)
  • use someone else to help you sort it out (called ‘mediation’ or ‘alternative dispute resolution’)
  • make a claim in a court or tribunal

Contact the Equality Advisory Support Service for help and advice.

Discrimination at work

Employees should talk to their employer first to try and sort out the problem informally. You may also want to read about workplace disputes.

If things can’t be sorted out informally, talk to Acas (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service), Citizens Advice or a trade union representative.

You might be able to take a claim to an employment tribunal for discrimination.

Employers must make sure they follow the law on preventing discrimination at work.

Accessibility and Equality

Accessibility and Equality contact information

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ