Re-use of public sector information regulations (ROPSI)

What are the ROSPI Regulations?

The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015 applies to all documents held by public sector bodies unless stated as specifically excluded. Any information supplied by us (especially under FOI or EIR) is for your personal use only. If we have created that information, then the council retains the copyright and it remains the property of Milton Keynes Council.

  • If you wish to re-use the information for anything other than personal use (e.g. for profit) you must obtain a licence from the council under the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations. 
  •  If the council becomes aware that information supplied by us has been re-used (eg for commercial gain) without our permission, then we have the right to invoke appropriate legal action
  • If you use the information without a license you will be breaking the law and Milton Keynes Council may take action against you.
  • Violation of copyright law is a very serious matter and in doing so you could be held liable in both a civil and criminal court.

How to make a request and charges

For further information and to request a ROPSI licence please contact us by email.

  • Following your request a letter or email will be sent to you detailing our decision.
  • Decisions relating to reuse will be made on a case by-case basis
  • If re-use is permitted, the letter will also contain details of any proposed fee and license issued
  • The fee will be established on a case by case basis, but the costs in the majority of cases will be marginal
  • You will be asked to sign the license and return it, together with the fee

Complaint procedure and appeals

Milton Keynes Council’s policy is to be as open as possible and whenever possible to supply information that is requested

  • If we are not able to provide the information requested we will write to you giving you our reasons
  • If you are not satisfied with the reasons you can ask for an internal review
  • Council will aim to respond within 20 working days
  • If you are still unhappy after the complaints procedure, you can refer your complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office.

More information about the Information Commissioner and how to complain can be obtained on the Information Commissioner's Office website.

Freedom of Information Team

Freedom of Information Team contact information

Post only, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ