Help if you find it difficult to manage in your current home

What options are there if you find it difficult to manage at home?

If  you find it difficult to manage in your current home you may be thinking of moving somewhere which is easier to maintain, nearer to family or friends, more suited to your needs or where care and support are available if you need it now or might need this in the future.

You may find that having Equipment, Adaptations or a Community Alarm  is enough to help you to maintain your independence and continue to live in your own home. If you are Council or Housing Association tenant you may be able to exchange/swap your property and move to  somewhere better suited to your needs. There is a range of other accommodation options with different amounts of help and support that you can also consider.

Supported Housing for Older People

Sheltered housing schemes may have people living in them who need no help with daily living, while others may need some support and personal care.

Supported Housing for Older People

Supported Housing for Older People allows you to rent or buy a flat or bungalow in a block or on a small estate where there are usually also communal areas such as a lounge, kitchen, laundry and gardens. The properties are designed to make life a little easier for residents (usually aged 55+) with features such as raised electric sockets, lowered worktops and walk-in showers, some will be designed to accommodate wheelchair users. Schemes will usually have a warden or manager either living on site or available during the daytime and a 24-hour emergency alarm system (sometimes called 'community alarm service') to call help if needed.

Supported Housing for Older People with Care / Extra-care Housing

For people who are more dependent and need a significant amount of support there are Supported Housing for Older People Schemes which have their own 'on -site' care staff. These offer the opportunity for people to live in their own home with access to 24-hour personal care and support if needed, schemes may offer support to people who are frail or people who have dementia.

Who provides Supported Housing for Older People?

Supported Housing for Older People is provided by private companies, Housing Associations and Local Councils. The Housing Solutions Service can help you find local schemes including Milton Keynes City Council Sheltered Housing / Sheltered Housing with Care  or you can search the Adult Social Care Directory.

Other accommodation options in your local community

There are options available to support adults with learning disabilities, mental health problems or other needs that make it harder for them to live on their own. In Milton Keynes these include:

Shared Lives

These offer support in a family home to people who need some extra support. Shared Lives MK offers day support, short breaks (respite) and long term placements. 

Supported Living Services

Supported living services provide accommodation – which can be your own home – which may be  shared by 2 or 3 people with a similar health problem or a particular disability. Staff usually visit the home to help you with personal care and do simple tasks such as shopping and housework. This care mustn't be delivered by the housing owner or operator, but by a registered homecare agency or provider regulated by the Care Quality Commission.

Supported Living is often arranged as part of someone's social care and support after an assessment by Adult Social Care.

Care Homes (with/without nursing)

Care Homes provide temporary or permanent accommodation for people who can no longer remain safely in their own home even with support. 

What do Care Homes offer?

Most homes provide long-term care and some homes also provide short term breaks and day care.

  • Care Homes without Nursing (Residential Homes) provide accommodation, meals and twenty-four hour personal care but do not provide nursing care
  • Care Homes with Nursing for people who need regular nursing care, which is provided by a qualified nurse or under the direct supervision of a qualified nurse
  • Dual Registered Homes that provide both residential and nursing care and usually also provide a wider range of services.

If you think that you may need to move to live in a care home

If you think that you may need to move to live in a care home, there are two ways of arranging this:

  • If you have the financial resources to pay for this support you can make your own arrangements directly with the home of your choice
  • If you do not have the financial resources to pay for this support yourself or you are unable to make your own arrangements, contact the ACCESS Team to discuss your options and, if necessary, to arrange a care and support needs assessment.

Moving into a care home is a major decision and we recommend that you seek advice to make sure that this is the best option for you, and consider NHS Choices advice on choosing a home

Who Provides Care Homes?

Care homes are provided by a wide range of people and organisations including private companies, charities, and local councils. All Care Homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) which inspects them and publishes inspection reports and service ratings. You can search for homes using the CQC website or for local homes you can search the Adult Social Care and Health Directory.

Adult Services - Adult Social Care ACCESS Team

Adult Social Care ACCESS Team contact information

Monday to Friday 8:45am - 5:00pm, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ