Transition - moving from Children's to Adults support services

Our aim for Transitions

Our aim at Milton Keynes is to  provide a positive experience of transition into adulthood for all young people with special educational needs and disabilities, through a ‘person centred’ approach that prepares young people effectively for adulthood.

  • Services provided for young people (under 17) with long-term health conditions are administered by child health and social care services.
  • After this (18+), they're usually provided by adult services.

From the age of 16 up to 18, there will begin a "transition" to adult services, which can happen at different times for individuals.

Asking for an assessment

A young person or their parent, guardian and/or carer can request an Adult Social Care needs assessment.

If the young person is already receiving support from Children's Services a referral  should be made on their behalf by their allocated worker, if this is considered necessary. Any existing support  will continue until agreed adult care and support is in place.

Adult Services - Adult Social Care ACCESS Team

Adult Social Care ACCESS Team contact information

Monday to Friday 8:45am - 5:00pm, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ