Information on claiming Council Tax Reduction

Do I qualify for help with my Council tax?

If you want to know if you will qualify for any help with your Council Tax, you can do a quick calculation using one of our;

You will be asked questions about your household make up, income and savings. This will also give you an estimate of Tax Credit entitlement.

Alternatively, you can use the online claim form.

This is a more detailed assessment which will enable you to make a claim at the end. This will take slightly longer as the questions are more detailed but once you have finished, we will contact you about your claim. you will also need to provide evidence to support your claim.

Please note the potential weekly rate of Council tax Reduction notified at the end of the assessment is an estimate only and may not be what you are entitled to. If you are currently working the estimate will be less accurate and we will contact, you about this

Council Tax Reduction is a means tested benefit, available to those on a low income who need help towards their Council Tax bill.

If you apply for Universal Credit, you will be asked if you want help with your Council Tax bill. If you say yes then the Department for Work and Pensions will send us information about your income, which we will use to see if we can reduce your council tax bill.   

You do not need to make an online application to us for a Council Tax Reduction unless; 

  • you will not be applying for UC, or
  • you are already receiving UC but have just moved to Milton Keynes, or
  • you are already on UC in Milton Keynes but not previously entitled to a Council Tax Reduction and your circumstances change, for example, your earnings or savings reduce, or you become liable for Council Tax for the first time.

Summary of Rules

  1. The applicant and/or partner must be the person named on the Council Tax bill.
  2. Capital/savings must be less than £16,000 if they are of pension age or under £6,000 if they are of working age. Capital rules do not apply to people in receipt of guaranteed pension credit.
  3. The applicant must be on a low income.

    Anyone who is receives any or the following benefits are considered to be on a low income:
  • Income Support
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  1. If a person is not receiving one of the low income benefits mentioned above, then using national guidance on allowances that vary (depending on the circumstances of the applicant and their family), we work out how much a person / family needs to live on, called the Applicable Amount. We then compare a person/family’s income to the Applicable Amount and a judgement is made as to whether or not you still qualify for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTR), or how much council tax they will still need to pay. 

What is the Maximum Council Tax Reduction that can be awarded?

Working age applicants on a low income can get help with up to 80% of the cost of their Council Tax bill. They will therefore have to pay at least 20% of their Council Tax. 

People who have reached pension credit age (pensioners) can get help with up to 100% of the cost of their Council Tax.

Do any working age people get help with up to 100% of their bill?

Some people of working age, who the Council believes are vulnerable, can also get help with up to 100% of the cost of their Council Tax. These people are either:

  • Receiving War Pension, War Widows Pension or War Disablement Pension; or
  • Under 25 years old and formerly in care (care leavers); or
  • Diagnosed as terminally ill and it is not unlikely that death could occur within 6 months; or
  • Have a mental health condition that significantly affects their ability to manage money and they do not have
    • a partner who can deal with the bill; or
    • someone else who looks after their finances for them.  

You will need to provide evidence from a health or social care professional that you meet any of the above criteria. Our Mental Health Evidence Form (PDF, 39KB) can be used for this purpose. As long as we have permission we can contact a chosen professional on the applicant's behalf if this is something you would like us to do please complete a Consent Form (PDF, 37KB).

When does my benefit start?

Once your claim has been processed, your Benefit will usually start on the Monday after we receive your completed claim form.

How is my Council Tax Reduction paid?

Any Council Tax Reduction will be paid directly into your Council Tax account and you will receive a reduced bill.

How do I apply for Council Tax reduction?

You can apply for Council Tax reduction via our online portal.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2023 - 2024

Please find below the full Council Tax Reduction Scheme:

Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2023 - 2024