Cultural events advice

If you're considering running an event in Milton Keynes, you will need to be aware of the various policies and permissions required.

Running an event - licensing and permission

To run an event in Milton Keynes, you need to be aware of event safety and meet all the licensing, permissions, risk assessments and insurances required.

The council is responsible for all events on public land, but many parts of Milton Keynes are in private ownership such as the Parks Trust venues, shopping centres or within the business district. If you are considering any event, you should contact the appropriate landowner.

You can also get advice from our team by emailing us.

Remember that planning an event can take many months depending on the location, its size and the planned audience, so please give us as much time as possible to advise you.

Busking and street entertainment

Milton Keynes Council has released guidelines to encourage performers and entertainers to animate central Milton Keynes. The guidelines provide a selection of locations which are licensed for street entertainment and clarity for the artist on what they need in place to legally perform outdoors. 

The Busking and Street Entertainment Policy is available for download and has been developed with Thames Valley Police, MK Council Officers (including licensing) and local land-owners.

Filming and photography

To film or undertake photography on land owned by MK Council or MK Parks Trust you must adhere to the permissions systems in place.

You might also be interested to read our filming location guidance.

Street art

Milton Keynes Council supports street art as a creative and attractive addition to the urban scene provided that the relevant criteria are met within the street art policy. Conversely, we will do everything reasonably possible to eliminate graffiti.

Read the Street Art and Graffiti Policy here.

Culture Team contact information

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ