Pet pig owners and hobby farmers

Do you own a Kune Kune or a Vietnamese Pot Belly pig? If you do, then you must be registered with Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) – even if you only have one as a pet!

  • You need to contact the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) on 03000 200 301 and ask to register your premises with them.
  • They will give you a CPH number. This is a county parish holding (CPH) number and is unique to you.
  • Once you have received your CPH number you will need to get a herd mark from the Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA) by calling the Defra Rural Services Helpline on 03000 200 301 and choosing the relevant options for APHA.


You are now fully registered and can legally move your animal if necessary.

See the rules for animal movements webpage for information about moving your pig(s). 

If you have any queries or would like further information please contact our Animal Health Officers on 01908 254840.

Environmental Health contact information

Postal address:, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ