Food hygiene and safety - reporting a food related issue to us


Report a food related complaint using the online form

The Food Standards Agency (FSA)

  • The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is responsible for food safety and food hygiene across the UK.
  • Local authorities work closely with the FSA to provide advice and to enforce food safety regulations.
  • The FSA produces a wide range of publications for the public and the food industry, which can be viewed on the FSA publications website.
  • The FSA also provides guidance to help small catering businesses such as restaurants, cafés and takeaways comply with food hygiene regulations with a food safety management pack.
  • It contains lots of useful information for the public and those working in the food industry.
  • The FSA also provide guidance on starting a food business.
  • The FSA leads on the government response to food incidents and provides advice to businesses on how to report, respond to and prevent an incident, as well as carrying out monitoring and planning work. View FSA advice on food incidents.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) also provides extensive information that is helpful in managing health and safety related to food and drink.

Enforcement and regulation

  • The FSA website provides a range of information that includes enforcement, codes of practice, legislation and regulations
  • Milton Keynes City Council Food Enforcement Policy - Milton Keynes City Council has adopted this policy on deciding when to issue a fixed monetary penalty for failure to comply with an improvement notice as an alternative to prosecution under the relevant food legislation. It applies in relation to any decision made by the Council in its capacity as Food Authority under s.5 Food Safety Act 1990. It also applies to other relevant legislation as detailed in the policy. 


Health and safety - food and drink

Risk management

Defrosting food safely

  • If you defrost any foods, you must do this in a way that minimises the risk of harmful bacteria growing or toxins forming in the foods.
  • While they are being defrosted, you must keep foods at a temperature that would not result in a risk to health.
  • Where liquid coming from the defrosting food may present a risk to health (for example, when defrosting raw meat) you must drain it off adequately and ensure it does not come into contact with other foods.
  • Following defrosting, food must be handled in a way that minimises the risk of harmful bacteria growing or toxins forming (for example, keeping it in the fridge at a temperature of 5 degrees Celsius or colder).
  • The BBC Skillswise website provides excellent guidance in this document: using storage temperatures on packed food.

Food poisoning

  • The FSA promotes the microbiological safety of food throughout the food chain.
  • It is responsible for the strategy for reducing foodborne illness, promoting a hazard analysis-based approach to food safety management and providing guidance for producers, retailers, caterers and the general public.
  • More information can be found on the FSA's webpage concerning food poisoning and the difference between 'use by' and 'best before' labels.
  • The FSA provide advice and guidance on rules on keeping your water supply safe.
  • Some food may be kept hot for extended periods of time, perhaps whilst on sale, such as hot pies in a bakery, or during periods of service, like food on a carvery. As food poisoning bacteria will grow quickly where food is only kept warm and not hot, it is important to ensure hot held foods are kept at a temperature to stop bacteria growing.
  • Food businesses are required to comply with current food hygiene laws. By law, hot held foods must be kept at a temperature of 63 degrees Celsius or hotter.
  • To ensure food is maintained safe and compliant with the law, you must make regular checks using a calibrated probe thermometer (ensure it has been wiped clean with a steriliser wipe between use). Alternatively, for hot held soups, custards, gravy etc check that the food is bubbling with steam coming off.

Cross contamination

Allergy and intolerance

  • The FSA provide new allergen information rules (EU FIC) and the FSA's work on food allergy and intolerance, including research, labelling and guidance on their website.
  • Visit the FSA website to find out more about allergies and intolerance to foods.

Food alerts and product recalls

  • This page on the FSA website provides information on the latest food related recall food alerts.

Milton Keynes City Council environmental health service

  • You can use the council’s online reporting system to inform the council of food related complaints.
  • When an environmental health inspector visits a business, he/she will always provide identification upon arrival and will inform you of any hazards they have identified, advising you about how they can be managed.
  • Visit the HSE website to learn more about the role of environmental health inspector and inspectors from the health and safety executive
  • The council’s environmental health service can provide guidance and information on all areas of food management and hygiene.

Health protection advice

Environmental Health contact information

Postal address:, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ