Older Person's Bus Pass
How to Apply For or Renew an Older Person's Bus Pass
The simplest way to apply for or renew your bus pass is to use our online application form Apply online
You will need to submit a copy of one of the following documents with your application:
- Driving Licence
- Birth Certificate
You will also need to supply a copy of one of the following documents to prove that you are a permanent resident of Milton Keynes:
- A letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming eligibility for the state pension
- A recent DWP state pension entitlement letter
- Your annual council tax bill
A photograph is required for ALL bus card renewals.
If you are applying online please ensure that you have electronic copies of your documents, and a photograph, before completing the form. If you are applying by post, you will need to send photocopies of your documents as well as the photograph. You can call the Helpline on 01908 254660 and request a form to be posted to you, or you can collect a copy from Milton Keynes Council's receptions at the Civic Offices and Saxon Court, or you can download and print the Concessionary Bus Card Form (PDF, 346KB). You can submit your application by post or in person to the Civic Offices.
Eligibility for an Older Person's Bus Pass
Eligible older people are entitled to free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England.
You will be eligible for a pass issued by Milton Keynes Council if:
- your sole or principal residence is within the borough of Milton Keynes. A letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming eligibility for the state pension, or a copy of a recent DWP state pension entitlement letter, or your council tax bill, provides proof of residency. We can also issue a pass if you are able to provide a copy of a mooring licence for one of the marinas within Milton Keynes.
- you are the appropriate age; the concession is awarded in lline with the pensionable age of a woman, whether you are male or female. You can check your eligibility using Direct Gov's State Pension Calculator - if you are male, please check the pensionable age for a female with your date of birth, which will give you your entitlement age for the bus pass.
Lost, Damaged or Stolen Bus Passes
If your card becomes lost, damaged or stolen please telephone or visit Milton Keynes Council. A new one will be issued to you as long as the pass has not expired. A £10 non-refundable charge is made for all lost, damaged or stolen passes. If your lost, damaged or stolen card has expired then you will need to complete a renewal form.
The Benefits of an Older Person’s Bus Pass
Bus passes issued by Milton Keynes Council are valid:
- anywhere in the Milton Keynes area at any time, though travel is subject to a discounted fare before 09:30, Monday to Friday
- anywhere in England from 09:30 to 23:00, Monday to Friday
- anywhere in England all day at weekends and on public holidays