For information about how flooding in MK is managed or prevented, visit the Flood and Water Management section. For information about flooding on a road or footway including how to report a blocked road gully, visit our page on Gullies and flooding on the highway.

What to do in a flood emergency

Be prepared

If you live in a flood prone area you should take steps to prevent your property from being flooded as much as possible. Check if you have riparian responsibilities for your property. This should be included in your property deeds. If you do then you will need to ensure that the watercourse is free from obstructions like branches or brambles.

The protection of your private property is your responsibility. You may wish to keep flood prevention measures on your property as floods can happen quickly. The choice of flood prevention products is up to you however we would advise using products like aqua-sacs rather than sandbags. Aqua-sacs are easier to store, re-useable, much lighter and can be deployed to divert flood water. You can find out more at

Have a look at our handy 'five step' guide to help you in the event of a flood emergency and what you should do.

Find out if your area is at risk of flooding and sign up to flood alerts for your home or business on the Environment Agency website.

If a flood alert is issued, check that your neighbours are aware too, especially any elderly or vulnerable people.

If you are about to be flooded

If there is a risk to life then call the emergency services on 999, ask for the Fire and Rescue Service. 

You can also call the 24 hour Floodline on 0345 988 1188 for help and advice on what you should do but as a general rule you should carry out the following actions:

  • Deploy any flood prevention products that you have such as sandbags, aqua sacs, bags of soil or door dams.
  • Put together an overnight bag of essential items including any home insurance documents.
  • Switch off electric and gas and move any valuables and pets upstairs.
  • Move vehicles to a safe location.

The Highways team keep a small stock of sandbags for emergencies at the Bleak Hall depot but these will only be distributed if a highways officer has confirmed that there is a very severe risk to the public.

You can read our Sandbag Policy here.

Flooding - who to contact and when

The role of the Council during a flood event

MK City Council will support the emergency services during a flood event. If an emergency situation is declared, our Emergency Planning Team help to coordinate between key council services like Housing and Highways with the emergency services and local communities.

The Highways team with service provider, Ringway will monitor the water levels on the roads, redways and footways. If the water reaches unsafe levels then we will temporarily close roads or footways that are impassable. We will post real time updates about any closed, flooded roads on our social media channels.

What to do after a flood

When returning to your property after a flood, there are a few key things you should do to stay safe.

  • Flood water may contain sewage so make sure you wear waterproof gloves and wash your hands if you touch anything soiled by the flood water. Don't consume any food or drink that has been contaminated either.
  • Don't switch on the electricity or gas supply until a professionally qualified engineer or utility company have checked it first.
  • Clean and disinfect any items soiled by the flood water.
  • Get in touch with your home insurance provider.

To find out what your local community can do to prevent future flooding visit Flood Plan Guidance for Communities and Groups