Repairs - key information

Milton Keynes Council’s repairs and maintenance service to council homes is delivered by Mears. If you live in a Council property you can contact Mears to report repairs that may be needed.

Report your repair online now

Line thick

Information about our repair service

Line thin

Coronavirus information

Mears have resumed all maintenance and repair activities within tenants' homes.

Mears staff and their contractors will be continuing to observe
HANDS - FACE - SPACE and wearing face coverings. We would appreciate you helping us by doing the same.

If anyone in your household develops symptoms after reporting a repair but before the appointment, please let Mears know and they will rearrange the appointment.

Back to Top

Line thin

Report emergency or routine repairs

Emergency repairs

Contact Mears right away to report an emergency repair to your council home or communal area.

  • Telephone Mears on 0330 123 2522, this is answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • If you can smell gas or suspect a gas leak, call the National Gas Emergency Service first on 0800 111 999, have your postcode ready. Then contact Mears on the number above.

Routine repairs

The easiest way is to report your repair online


  • Telephone Mears on 0330 123 2522
  • Email Mears with your details and a brief description of your repair, and the Mears call centre will contact you to make an appointment.

Back to Top

Line thin

Response times for repairs

The time taken to respond to your request depends on the nature of the repair. We prioritise repairs as per the categories below:

  • Emergency repairs: made safe within 4 hours. This is to make a situation safe or perform temporary repairs. This work is necessary to prevent danger to life or extensive damage to property, or if the problem will have an adverse effect on a medical need.
  • Routine repairs: within 28 days. All non-emergency repairs will be given a repair appointment within 28 days of your call.
For information on our cyclical and maintenance programmes, visit our tenant's maintenance, improvements, alterations, and adaptations page.

Back to Top

Line thin

Repair appointments

Mears offer appointments between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. You will be given either a:

  • Morning appointment - 8am to 1pm
  • Afternoon appointment - 1pm to 5pm
  • All-day appointment - 8am to 5pm

This means that an operative or contractor will arrive at your home within these time periods. Please also note:

  • If Mears have your mobile number, you will receive text notifications about your appointment.
  • Mears staff and contractors will identify themselves on arrival and will show you their identification. If you are unsure, please telephone Mears on 0330 123 2522 to check.
  • The aim is to complete the work on the first visit but depending on the repair it may be necessary for a follow up visit and Mears staff will inform you of this.
  • You may be contacted by Mears Customer Care Team to check you are happy with the repair to your home when the work is completed.
  • We understand that circumstances can change. So, if you’re unable to be at home at the arranged time, please contact Mears directly to re-arrange your appointment.

Back to Top

Line thin

Tenant responsibilities and recharges

Council tenants have responsibilities for their homes. This means that some repairs are your responsibility, and you may be liable to pay for them.

If a property is damaged by you or a visitor to your home, whether it is an accident or not, the council may charge you for any repairs that it does.

For routinely charged minor repairs such as lost keys and broken windows, we will apply a fixed charge payment (including VAT).

For more information on the responsibilities of tenants, please refer to your tenancy agreement.

Back to Top

Line thin

Leaseholders and shared owners' responsibility

If you are a leaseholder or a shared owner, under the terms of your lease you are responsible for servicing, maintaining, and repairing things that are inside your property, for example fixtures and fittings, your Heat Interface Unit, etc.

The council are responsible for maintaining and looking after the areas outside your home, including internal and external communal areas, fixtures and fittings.

For more information, visit our Leasehold, Shared Ownership and Right to Buy page.

Back to Top

Line thin

Last Updated: 28 September 2021