As a tenant in a privately rented property you will generally have the following responsibilities:
- Take care of the property.
- Report all repairs issues to your landlord as they arise. It is advisable to do this in writing and to keep copies of any communication.
- Allow the landlord reasonable time to carry out repairs.
- Provide your landlord access to the property if a reasonable period of notice has been given (your landlord must give you 24 hours written notice, unless you agree otherwise or it is an emergency).
- Abide by all anti-social behaviour laws and do not create a nuisance (e.g. excess noise).
- Bills for gas, electricity, telephone etc. are the tenant’s responsibility (unless specified otherwise in your tenancy agreement).