Renew and Reserve Items
When you become a member of Milton Keynes Libraries you can borrow, renew and return items at any of our nine libraries.
Further information about renewing and reserving items:
- RENEW LIBRARY ITEMS
- Phone Renewals
- Loan Periods and Hire Charges
- Library Charges
- RESERVE LIBRARY ITEMS
- Online Reservations
- Reservations from our Partner Libraries (SELMS)
- Reservation Charges
- Magazine and Newspaper Article Requests
- Your Library PIN
- Report a Lost Library Card
- Payment of Fee and Charges
- Online Payments
- Library Notices by Email
Books and Audio Books are loaned for a 3 week period and magazines for 1 week. Renewed items will be extended by the appropriate loan period.
You can renew your items unless they have been requested by another library member or they have already been renewed 4 times.
- Items will need to be presented at any branch if they have already been renewed 4 times.
- When renewing a chargeable item, any hire charge will be added to your card and should be paid when you next visit the library. You can pay by credit/debit card using the Library Online Payment service and you will need your library card and library PIN to do this.
- If the library item is overdue at the time you renew it, you will be liable for any overdue fines incurred before renewal.
- If you have outstanding fines on your library card then your renewal may not be successful.
- You can choose to receive email reminders when your library items are due back.
Please note you will not be able to renew your items online if:
- Your items have been renewed 4 times already; or
- Another customer has put in a request for the item.
In this situation, you will need to take the items to a library before the due date to avoid overdue fines.
You can use the 24 hour Automated Telephone Renewal Service by dialling 0303 123 0035 and selecting option 4 for Milton Keynes Libraries (not option 2 for Buckinghamshire).
Alternatively, you can phone any library branch to renew your items.
- You will need to have your library card number and library PIN to renew items by phone.
- Calls to this number are charged at local rate.
- When entering your library card number only enter the numbers (not any letters - ignore the B at the beginning and, if applicable, the X at the end)
- If you wish to renew an individual item you will need to enter the barcode number from the inside cover of the book.
- When renewing a chargeable item, any hire charges will be added to your card and should be paid when you next visit the library.
You can check the Library Catalogue for an item you require, and if it is not immediately available, you can reserve it. There may be a charge for this service.
Reservations can be placed online or at your local library.
- Magazines and Reference Library stock cannot be reserved.
- We can only take reservations for items that are already in library stock or on order. You can, however, complete an online form to suggest new purchases or speak to staff at any library.
- You must be a library member before you can make a reservation. If you are not already a member, it is free to join at any library.
- To make a reservation you will need to Search the Library Catalogue for the item you want.
- When you find the item, click on the title to open the catalogue entry. At the top of this page click on the grey button to Place Reservation.
- Enter your library card number from the barcode on your library card and your library PIN and click OK.
- Choose which library you would like to collect your item from.
- There is a charge for this service. This reservation fee will be added to your card and you will be expected to pay the fee on your next visit to the library. You can pay by credit/debit card using the Library Online Payment service.
- When the item is ready for collection we will notify you and advise you of the latest collection date. You can choose to receive notifications by email if you prefer.
Milton Keynes Libraries is a member of the South East Library Management System (SELMS), a partnership of library authorities working together to widen access to resources for all their customers.
Members of Milton Keynes Libraries can reserve library catalogue items online from the following Partners:
- Brighton and Hove City Libraries
- Buckinghamshire Libraries
- Camden Libraries
- Hertfordshire Libraries
- Kent Libraries
- Medway Libraries
- London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames
- Slough Libraries
- West Berkshire Libraries
- Windsor and Maidenhead Libraries
Search the Library Catalogue for the item you require.
- If you do not find what you are looking for, the search result screen gives you the option to: Try this search in the SELMS Library Network Catalogue. Selecting this will expand your search to all Partner Libraries' stock.
- If the book is available from a Partner Library, select the item you wish to reserve and click Place Reservation. Please note that items reserved from our Partner Libraries will take longer to arrive at Milton Keynes.
- To complete the reservation, you must tick the box headed Reserve items from only institutions in the SELMS Libraries Network.
- By ticking this box you are agreeing to your library membership information being shared with the other library services in the SELMS network in the same way as at your home library.
- You will be asked to choose which library you would like to collect your item from.
There is a reservation charge for this service and it will be added to your card and expected to be paid immediately online or when you next visit the library.
When the item is ready for collection we will notify you and advise you of the latest collection date.
Requests for articles can be made at your local library by completing a request card and copyright form.
To request an article you will need to bring as much of the following information as possible:
- Magazine or Newspaper Title
- Article Title and Author
- Page Numbers
There is a charge for requesting magazine and newspaper articles. When making a request online, the charge will be added to your card and you will be expected to pay the fee at your next visit to the library.
Articles usually take between 2 and 6 weeks to arrive and you will be contacted when they are ready for collection.
You need a four digit PIN and your library membership card number (from the barcode on your library card) if you want to either renew library items or reserve library items online or access your free computer session at libraries.
You are issued a PIN when you join the library and this can be changed online.
Lost or forgotten your PIN? How do I apply for a PIN?
If you do not know your library PIN but we have your email address on record you may use the Forgot Your PIN option on the Log in to My Library screen. Enter your library card number (from the barcode on your library card) and surname and we will then email you your PIN.
If you don’t have an email address or we don’t have it on record, please contact your local library either in person or by phone to obtain your PIN. You will need to have your library card number (from the barcode on your library card) to do this.
Until you notify the library that your card is missing, any items borrowed on your card remain your responsibility.
You can email us to report your library card lost. Please provide your name, address and postcode. At the earliest point, the card will be marked as 'Reported Lost' until you next visit a library with relevant ID and choose to either reinstate or replace your card.
There is a £3 charge for replacing a library card.
If your card has been stolen and reported to the police, you can present your Police Crime Number to library staff and there will be no charge for the replacement.
Your replacement card will be issued to you immediately and you can start borrowing.
We accept cash at all Milton Keynes Library locations but we do not currently process credit/debit card transaction or electronic refunds.
Cash payments can also be made at self-service kiosks at all libraries. The kiosks take coins as well as £5/£10 notes and give change.
You will need to renew any overdue items before you can pay the outstanding charge in full.
Remember there are various reasons that may prevent you from being able to renew items.
Your library account will show a link to your outstanding fines and charges and show a breakdown of the outstanding total. From here, you can select the items you want to pay and click Pay Online.
When making your payment please remember to enter your debit/credit card number with no spaces and your name exactly as it appears on the card.
If you have registered for Verified by Visa or Secure Code you will also be asked to enter that information.
Once you have confirmed your payment you will be able to print your page as a receipt, giving you full details including a receipt number.
If you need further information, please read our detailed Online Payments Guidance Notes (PDF, 1.5MB).
Milton Keynes Libraries can email you with Library Notices and Information including:
- Renewals - reminding you that your items are due back a few days before the due date.
- Reservations - allowing us to notify you more quickly when the item you have reserved is ready for collection.
- Loans - we can email you a record of what you have just borrowed instead of printing a receipt.
- Library news and events.
PLEASE NOTE: These notices are a courtesy service only and it remains your responsibility to return your items by the due date.
How to set up the Library emailing service:
You will need your library card number and PIN to Log in to My Library.
- Go to the Personal Details section to check that we have your current email address. You can change your email address at this point.
- Select your preferred library from the drop down menu.
- Tick both boxes if you would like to receive library notices and library information by email.
- To receive an email record of your Loans, choose your Receipt Preference setting.
- Remember to click on Update to save the changes you have made and Log out.