Site Allocations Examination
Details of the Site Allocation Plan preparation and how the Council has reached the Examination stage can be found at: Site Allocations Plan.
Site Allocations Plan: Schedule of Main Modifications Consultation
Following the close of the examination hearings and further correspondence between the Council and the Inspector, the Council were invited by the Inspector to submit, for his consideration, a schedule of proposed Main Modifications to the SAP which he considered to be necessary to make the plan sound.
Having agreed a finalised schedule of modifications, the Inspector has now requested that the schedule be subject to public consultation.
We are therefore holding a six-week period of public consultation to provide an opportunity for comments to be submitted on the schedule of proposed Main Modifications to the SAP. The consultation is only on the Main Modifications and not on any other aspect of the plan.
This consultation will open on Wednesday 21 February 2018 and comments must be received no later than 5.00pm on Wednesday 4 April 2018.
Following the close of the consultation, all representations received will be sent to the Inspector for his consideration and to assist his final conclusions in preparing his report on the examination.
The preferred method for submitting comments is via the Council's online consultation portal, which can be accessed at: Consultation Portal
Alternatively, if you are unable to use the online portal, you can fill in one of the comment forms (link below) and respond via:
Or Post: Milton Keynes Council, Development Plans, Civic Offices, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3EJ.
The Proposed Schedule of Main Modifications document along with the response form, Statement of Representations Procedure and a guidance note on making responses can be found at the following links:
- Milton Keynes Site Allocations Plan Schedule of Main Modifications (Feb 2018) (PDF, 17.7MB)
- Milton Keynes Site Allocations Plan Schedule of Main Modifications (Feb 2018) Response Form (DOCX, 30KB)
- Milton Keynes Site Allocations Plan Schedule of Main Modifications (Feb 2018) Statement of Representations (PDF, 49KB)
- Milton Keynes Site Allocations Plan Schedule of Main Modifications (Feb 2018) Guidance note for Respondents (PDF, 83KB)
Site Allocation Examination process explained
Planning Inspector; Richard Schofield BA(Hons) MA MRTPI has been appointed to undertake an independent examination into the soundness of Milton Keynes Council’s Site Allocations Plan.
The Inspector’s task is to consider the soundness of the submitted Plan, based on the criteria set out in paragraph 182 of the National Planning Policy Framework (the Framework).
The relevant soundness criteria are whether the Plan is:
- Positively prepared (based on a strategy that seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development)
- Justified (the most appropriate strategy when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence)
- Effective (the plan should be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities) and
- Consistent with national policy (the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework).
The Inspector will take into account the representations submitted upon the Plan as far as they relate to soundness considerations. A number of informal debates will take place on the principal matters identified by the Inspector these are termed Hearing Sessions.
Following the closure of the Examination, the Inspector will prepare a report to the Council with precise recommendations, these recommendations may include modifications to the Plan, if such a request is made by the Council.
Guidance Notes (PDF, 105KB) have been prepared by the Inspector to help people understand the process. Any queries people may have regarding the Examination process should be directed to the Programme Officer who will be happy to assist.
Occasionally, it will be necessary for the Inspector to write to us to offer procedural direction or to seek clarification.
Correspondence between the Inspector and ourselves is exchanged through the Programme Officer. For transparency and information purposes procedural correspondence is published below:
- PC1 – Inspector’s Initial Questions 24 April 2017 (PDF, 143KB)
- PC1A - MKC Response to Inspector's Initial Questions Part 1 (15 May 2017) (PDF, 116KB)
- PC1B - MKC Response to Inspector's initial Questions Part 2 (23 May 2017) (PDF, 107KB)
- PC1C - MKC Response to Inspector's Initial Questions Part 3 - Further information Site Specific Matters (19 June 2017) (PDF, 1.5MB)
- PC2 - Inspector Note on the Role of Site Allocations Document and Matters for Hearings (PDF, 31KB)
- PC3 - Inspector's Post hearing Note to Council 26 September 2017 (PDF, 86KB)
- PC3A - MKC Response to PC3 (October 2017) (PDF, 109KB)
- PC3B - Inspector's Final Post Hearings Note to Council (November 2017) (PDF, 67KB)
- PC3C - Council response to Inspector's Post-Hearing Note of 3 November 2017 (Part 1) (PDF, 54KB)
The Programme Officer
The Programme Officer, Ian Kemp, will act as the contact for any person who has an interest in the Examination and as a liaison between the Inspector, Council and Representors.
He is an independent Officer of the Examination and works on behalf of the Inspector to organise and manage the administrative and procedural elements of the Examination process. All statements will also be submitted through him.
Any matters that anyone wishes to raise with the Inspector should be submitted via the Programme Officer.
16 Cross Furlong
Telephone: 01527 861711
Mobile: 07723 009166
Hearing Sessions Venue and Timetable
Hearing sessions will commence at 09:30am on Tuesday 12 September 2017 within the Church of Christ the Cornerstone, 300 Saxon Gate, Milton Keynes, MK9 2ES.
In response to the Inspector's Matters, Issues and Questions the following statements were received:
- Milton Keynes Council Statement (PDF, 328KB)
- SPRU Matter1 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Woods Hardwick Matter 1 (PDF, 283KB)
- Amec Matter 2 (PDF, 271KB)
- David Wilson Matter 2 (PDF, 2MB)
- SPRU Matter 2 (PDF, 681KB)
- Woods Hardwick Matter 2 (PDF, 206KB)
- David Lock Matters 2 & 3 (PDF, 219KB)
- CMK Town Council Matter 3 (PDF, 124KB)
- SPRU Matter 3 (PDF, 488KB)
- Woods Hardwick Matter 3 (PDF, 284KB)
- Anglian Water Position Statement (PDF, 72KB)
Evidence Base Documents
In preparing the Plan the Council both refer to and were informed by a number of documents that together form the 'Evidence Base' for the Examination. These documents can be accessed at: Site Allocations Examination Evidence Base.
Last Updated: 25 July 2021