Your rights

No one has the right to hurt or bully you.

Everyone has a right to:

  • keep and feel safe
  • speak up and be listened to 
  • be treated well and with respect
  • make our own choices
  • be who we are
  • tell someone if anything makes you feel bad
  • tell the police if anyone does something against the law

It is wrong for anyone to:

  • hurt you or make you feel unsafe
  • treat you badly 
  • take or damage your things

If anyone does any of these to you, it may be against the law and it may be a crime. If it is not a crime it is still wrong and is called an incident.

Bullying is when someone:

  • picks on you
  • hurts you or scares you in any way
  • calls you names
  • laughs at you
  • pokes you
  • says bad things about you
  • says things about you that are not true
  • messes about with your things

It is important to tell someone you trust as soon as you can if you are bullied because bullying may turn into a crime.

If you do not feel that you have someone to talk to, call Childline on 0800 1111.​​​​​

The law

Laws are the rules of our country and are decided by parliament.  Your Member of Parliament (MP) is there to speak up for people in your area. They do this by making sure that your views and opinions are known when new laws are being made and by checking what the government is doing.

You help select your local Member of Parliament (MP) by voting for them in elections.

Read more about how laws are made and your rights in our law resources.  

Members of Parliament (MPs)

Part of your MP’s job is to help people with problems but, before asking for their help, you should try to solve the problem yourself.

    Problems your MP can help with include:

    • NHS health services like hospitals and doctors
    • tax and National Insurance - money you pay to the Government when you work
    • benefits - money you may get like Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Income Support
    • big problems with schools - for example, if a school is closing down

    They might be able to help by:

    • writing to someone about your problem for you
    • asking the Government for help
    • supporting you to change something

    Your MP is not the best person to help with problems involving:

    • neighbours
    • employers  - these are the people you work for
    • family 
    • landlords - these are people you rent a home from

    Who is your MP?

    If you are not sure who your MP is, you can:

    • ask at your local library or town hall
    • Call the MP’s information line, 0207 219 4272
    • Visit findyourmp  - you will need to know your postcode

    How to get in touch with your MP:

    • write to them at this address:

    House of Commons
    SW1A 0AA

    You will need to write your Member of Parliament's (MP’s) name at the top of the address

    • phone 020 7219 3000 and ask to be put through to the office of your MP
    • email them - their address should be on their website or you can phone the MP information line on 020 7219 4272 to find out
    • go to see them face-to-face - you can find out where and when you can do this by:
      • asking at your local library
      • looking on your MP's website
      • phoning your Member of Parliament's (MP’s) office

    Being arrested

    If you are arrested, it means the police think you may have been involved in a crime. If you are detained, it is because the police need to find out some more information about how you were involved.

    If a police officer tries to arrest you, you must never resist arrest and it is important that you try to keep calm and not panic.

    You have the right to:

    • ask for a solicitor - this is someone who will help you understand the crime the police think you were involved with and your rights
    • tell someone you trust that you have been arrested
    • be treated fairly
    • ask why you have been arrested
    • not answer questions
    • ask for an interpreter, who will explain things in your own language - this includes a sign language interpreter

    If you are under the age of 17 or have a learning disability, you also have the right to have an 'appropriate adult' with you whilst you are being asked questions. An 'appropriate adult' could be your parents or a support worker you know.

    If you are arrested or detained, this is what will happen:

    • a police officer will ask you your name and your date of birth
    • a police officer will caution you, which means the police officer will tell you that:
      • you do not have to say anything
      • if you say anything the police officer will write it down
      • what you have said may be used as evidence
    • a police officer will ask you if you understood the caution
    • a police officer will take you to a local police station
    • you will be told why you have been arrested or detained
    • you will be searched and the things you have with you (personal belongings) will be taken away - you will get these back later
    • if you are under 17 years old or the police do not think you understand their questions, an 'appropriate adult' may be requested
    • a police officer will tell your solicitor you have been arrested or detained

    The police may want to:

    • take your fingerprints
    • take your photograph
    • take a DNA sample - the inside of your mouth will be gently brushed with a cotton bud
    • ask a doctor to see you

    You may need to stay at the police station whilst the police get more information - you could be kept in a room called a police cell and, if the police believe you have done something wrong and committed a crime, they may charge you.

    If you are charged with a crime:

    • the police may keep you in the police cell and you will go to court the next day
    • you may be given back your personal belongings and allowed to go home - you will be given a letter telling you when you need to go to court

    If you are not charged with a crime, your personal belongings will be given back to you and you will be allowed to go home.

    Disability hate crimes

    A disability hate crime is a crime that you think has happened to you, or someone else thinks has happened to you, because you have a disability.

    The person who does it could be a stranger or someone you know. For example, a hate crime might be if someone:

    • comes to your house and does not leave when you ask them to
    • hits you or says they are going to hit you
    • takes or damages your things
    • calls you bad names face-to-face, on the internet or by text message

    If any of these things happen to you, you have been a victim of crime and you do not have to put up with it:

    • tell someone you trust and they can help make sure it does not happen again 
    • tell the police - you can phone 999 if it is something that is serious or dangerous and needs to be stopped quickly or, if it is not an emergency, you can call 101 or visit a police station 
    • report the incident on True Vision
    • tell your parents or carers, teachers or someone at your day centre
    • contact the Citizens Advice Bureau
    • use the True Vision hate crime and incident reporting form to help record the details of the incident

    Find out more in our law resources.

    SEND Team

    SEND Team contact information

    Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ

    SENDIAS Service

    SENDIAS contact information

    Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ