In year admissions - changing school during the year

The information below tells you how to apply for a school place if you are moving into Milton Keynes or are moving to another area of Milton Keynes and would like to change your child's current school. There is no guarantee that a place will be available at your preferred school or your catchment school.


List of Maintained and Voluntary Controlled Schools (PDF, 80KB)

Applications for September 2021

Waiting lists - Please note waiting lists for all community and voluntary controlled schools for 2020/21 will finish on 31 August 2021. 

If your child is in year R, and currently on a waiting list for an alternative school, and you wish for them to be considered for a place at that school next year, you will need to submit a new application in line with the timeline set out below.

If your child is currently in years 1-5, and you wish for them to remain on the waiting list for a different school, you must e-mail no later than 30 June, requesting that your child’s name is transferred to the waiting list for September 2021. There is no need to make a new in year application.

If you wish to appeal during the new academic year, you will need to submit a new application. An outcome letter will confirm the place has been declined, and details of how to appeal

Timeline for processing in-year applications for September 2021

If you wish to make an in-year application for a school place starting in September 2021, completed applications will be processed in accordance with the timetable below:

Applications received from 1 June 2021 to 14 June 2021 we will aim to process applications before the end of this academic year

Applications received from 15 June 2021 to 31 August 2021 we will aim to process  applications  during this period but this may not be possible during peak times and in particular during August when schools which are their own admissions authority may not be available to progress the application.

*incomplete applications will not be processed and it is important that the section from your current school is completed before schools close for the summer

It is strongly advised that parents wanting to change school in September apply as soon as possible.

We normally seek to process applications within 15 school days of receipt and will contact you as soon as we have processed your application. PLEASE DO NOT CHASE A RESPONSE WITHIN THE 15 WORKING DAYS. ONCE WE HAVE AN OUTCOME, WE WILL CONTACT YOU.

You can make an in-year application at any time. 

Green Line

Moving into Milton Keynes

If you are moving into Milton Keynes and want to apply for a school place you will need to complete an online application on the Citizen Portal here.  You can provide up to four preference schools.  Should you need further assistance please contact 01908 253338.

Proof of address

We require proof of your Milton Keynes address. You must include with your application either:

  • a solicitor’s letter to confirm exchange of contracts
  • or a copy of your signed tenancy agreement is required to support your application
  • or Milton Keynes council tax reference number

Moving in from Overseas

If you are moving from overseas and wish to apply for a state school place you should visit for further information. We recommend you obtain advice from an immigration professional or the UK Home Office to establish if your child(ren) have a right, under their visa entry conditions, to study at a state funded school. Please note it is the responsibility of parents to ensure that visa entry conditions are checked.

You must provide a copy of your child’s passport and visa.

If there is any doubt about the legality of the move, we may request further proof.

Please note incomplete application forms will not be processed.

Back to Top

Moving within Milton Keynes

If you are changing your address within Milton Keynes and want to apply for a different school place you will need to complete an online application on the Citizen Portal here.  You can provide up to four preference schools.  Should you need further assistance please contact 01908 253338. 

If one of your preference schools are one of the schools listed below, you will need to contact them directly:

  • New Chapter Primary School
  • The Premier Academy

Supporting information

If your child already attends a Milton Keynes school, you will need to ask the Headteacher to complete the School Information Form (PDF, 206KB).  This will need to be submitted with your application.  Failure to upload the completed form will mean your application will not be progressed.

When completing the online application, ensure that all information has been completed correctly and no information missed. Any mistakes could affect your application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. It is important that the section from your current school is completed and uploaded with your application.

For in-year applications, an offer is based on what is available at the time of application. Often the most popular schools are full and it is advisable to include your catchment school.

Parents can state up to four preferences on the application form.  If it is not possible to offer a place at any of your preferred schools, we will approach the school nearest to your home address with a vacancy to request a place.

Brooklands Farm Primary School - Campus Transfer Requests 

Brooklands Farm Primary School is one school with two campuses: Fen Street and Countess Way. The school serves the settlements of Brooklands and Broughton Gate.  The campus allocation policy (PDF, 194KB) (PDF, 118KB) outlines how children are allocated to each campus and explains the process for parents to request a transfer to the alternative campus.

If for any reason, you are unhappy with the campus allocated and would like to request a different campus, a transfer request can be made in the summer term of each academic year.  The next opportunity to request a campus transfer is from 19 April 2022 for campus transfers in September 2023.  

Back to Top

Moving outside of Milton Keynes

If you are moving out of Milton Keynes you will need to apply to the local authority where you are moving to for a school place.

Processing of applications

We aim to process your application within 15 school days (excluding weekends and school holidays).  Milton Keynes Council is responsible for admissions to community and voluntary controlled schools.  Other schools are responsible for their own admissions.  In these cases, we forward your application onto the relevant school(s) and await their decision.  This may delay the decision being made within the 15 school days.

Admission outside of chronological year group

The majority of children are usually educated in their chronological year group, although sometimes parents wish to consider admission outside of their child’s chronological year group. If this is something you are considering please read the information here (PDF, 151KB).

Fair Access Protocol

When seeking a school place during the year, some children who are eligible will be allocated a place under a Fair Access Protocol.  For more information, please read either the Secondary Fair Access Protocol (PDF, 232KB) or Primary Fair Access Protocol (PDF, 290KB).

What happens next?

Once you receive an offer you must contact the school within 10 school days to accept the place or you must contact the school admissions team to decline the offer.  If you do not make contact we will assume you do not want the school place and we will withdraw the offer.

If your application has been declined, find out how to appeal or join the waiting list

Back to Top

Information relating to attending schools

Home to school transport

Parents and carers are responsible for ensuring their children attend school regularly and for arranging their safe arrival at school and journey home at the end of the day.  See if your child is eligible for assistance in getting to and from school and how to apply.

Free school meals

Parents and carers who receive certain benefits may be eligible for either pupil premium funding or free school meals.  Find out the eligibility criteria and how to apply.

Children with Special Educational Needs (SEN)

Find out what support is available for a child with special education needs.  If you have any queries about your child’s special needs or wish to request a leaflet explaining the transfer process, please contact the SEN casework team

Back to Top

Last Updated: 28 September 2021