In year admissions - changing school during the year

The information below tells you how to apply for a school place if you are moving into Milton Keynes or are moving to another area of Milton Keynes and would like to change your child's current school. If your application has been declined, find out how to appeal or join the waiting list below.

Please note - there is no guarantee that a place will be available at your preferred school or your catchment school.  All school places are allocated in line with the School Admissions Code 2021 and, in line with this code, independent appeal panels are the only legal authority to overturn the outcome of your application if it is unsuccessful.  You can make an in-year application at any time. 

Please read the parents guide for primary schools or the guide for secondary schools.

Some schools process their in-year applications and you can apply to these schools direct.  Here is a list of these schools.

Applications are usually processed within 15 school days of receipt and you will be contacted as soon as there is an outcome.  PLEASE DO NOT CHASE A RESPONSE WITHIN THE 15 WORKING DAYS. THE TEAM WILL CONTACT YOU ONCE THERE IS AN OUTCOME.

Moving into Milton Keynes

If you are moving into Milton Keynes and want to apply for a school place you will need to complete an online application on the Citizen Portal here.  You can provide up to four preference schools.  Should you need further assistance please contact 01908 253338.

Proof of address

We require proof of your Milton Keynes address. You must include with your application either:

  • a solicitor’s letter to confirm exchange of contracts
  • or a copy of your signed tenancy agreement is required to support your application
  • or Milton Keynes council tax reference number

Moving in from Overseas

If you are moving from overseas and wish to apply for a state school place you should visit for further information. We recommend you obtain advice from an immigration professional or the UK Home Office to establish if your child(ren) have a right, under their visa entry conditions, to study at a state funded school. Please note it is the responsibility of parents to ensure that visa entry conditions are checked.

You must provide a copy of your child’s passport and visa.

If there is any doubt about the legality of the move, we may request further proof.

Please note incomplete application forms will not be processed.

Moving within Milton Keynes

If you are changing your address within Milton Keynes and want to apply for a different school place you will need to complete an online application on the Citizen Portal here.  You can provide up to four preference schools.  Should you need further assistance please contact 01908 253338. 

If one of your preference schools are one of the schools listed below, you will need to contact them directly:

  • New Chapter Primary School
  • The Premier Academy

Supporting information

If your child already attends a Milton Keynes school, you will need to ask the Headteacher to complete the School Information Form.  This will need to be submitted with your application.  Failure to upload the completed form will mean your application will not be progressed.

When completing the online application, ensure that all information has been completed correctly and no information missed. Any mistakes could affect your application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. It is important that the section from your current school is completed and uploaded with your application.

For in-year applications, an offer is based on what is available at the time of application. Often the most popular schools are full and it is advisable to include your catchment school.

Parents can state up to four preferences on the application form.  If it is not possible to offer a place at any of your preferred schools, we will approach the school nearest to your home address with a vacancy to request a place.

Brooklands Farm Primary School - Campus Transfer Requests 

Brooklands Farm Primary School is one school with two campuses: Fen Street and Countess Way. The school serves the settlements of Brooklands and Broughton Gate.  The campus allocation policy outlines how children are allocated to each campus and explains the process for parents to request a transfer to the alternative campus.

If for any reason, you are unhappy with the campus allocated and would like to request a different campus, a transfer request can be made in the summer term of each academic year.   A campus transfer request form will be available here from 17 April 2023.  The campus transfer request panel meet annually in June each year and the council will write to parents with the result of the request within five working days of the date of the panel meeting.  The decision of the panel is final and there is no right of appeal.

Moving outside of Milton Keynes

If you are moving out of Milton Keynes you will need to apply to the local authority where you are moving to for a school place.

Processing of applications

We aim to process your application within 15 school days (excluding weekends and school holidays).  Milton Keynes Council is responsible for admissions to community and voluntary controlled schools.  Other schools are responsible for their own admissions.  In these cases, we forward your application onto the relevant school(s) and await their decision.  This may delay the decision being made within the 15 school days.

Admission outside of chronological year group

Most children are usually educated in their chronological year group, although sometimes parents wish to consider admission outside of their child’s chronological year group. If this is something you are considering please read the information here before completing a request form.

Fair Access Protocol

When applying for a school place during the year, some children who are eligible will be allocated a place under a Fair Access Protocol.  For more information, please read the Secondary Fair Access Protocol or the Primary Fair Access Protocol.

What happens next?

Once you receive an offer you must contact the school within 10 school days to accept the place or you must contact the school admissions team to decline the offer.  

If your application has been declined, find out how to appeal or join the waiting list. 

Information relating to attending schools

Home to school transport

Parents and carers are responsible for ensuring their children attend school regularly and for arranging their safe arrival at school and journey home at the end of the day.  See if your child is eligible for assistance in getting to and from school and how to apply.

Free school meals

Parents and carers who receive certain benefits may be eligible for either pupil premium funding or free school meals.  Find out the eligibility criteria and how to apply.

Children with Special Educational Needs (SEN)

Find out what support is available for a child with special education needs.  If you have any queries about your child’s special needs or wish to request a leaflet explaining the transfer process, please contact the SEN casework team


Education Access Team (Primary Schools)

Education Access Team contact information

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ