Household Waste Recycling Centres
Where are the Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC)?
Our three Household Waste Recycling Centres are located at:
- Bleak Hall, Chesney Wold, MK6 1NE
- New Bradwell, Newport Road, MK13 0AH
- Newport Pagnell, North Crawley Road, MK16 9HG
When are the sites open?
The HWRC's are open 7 days a week from:
- 8am to 8pm from 1st April to 30th September
- 8am to 5pm from 1st October to 31st March
- Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
- HWRCs will close at 1pm on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
- Trade times vary - See our Trade Waste Page
Please ensure you arrive at the sites at least 30 minutes before they close to ensure you have time to tip.
The quietest times at the sites are between 6pm and 8pm every day. The busiest times are between 11am and 3pm, especially at weekends, so these times are best avoided if possible.
Who can use the sites?
MK HWRCs accept household and DIY waste free of charge from residents of the Borough of Milton Keynes. You may be asked to show identification such as a driving licence or utility bill to prove that you are a local resident.
Local Authorities are permitted to charge for non-household waste e.g. commercial waste, industrial waste (including construction waste) and people from outside the Authority area. If there is a query due to the nature of the waste, frequency of visits or type of vehicle, you may be asked to confirm that it is household waste from your property in Milton Keynes.
Trade and Commercial Waste includes rubbish and recycling from landlords, non-residents of Milton Keynes and anybody carrying waste for other people. This waste can only be taken to our Newport Pagnell site and is charged for at the advertised rates. Please see our commercial and industrial waste pages for further details.
Vehicle Height Restrictions
Vehicles over 2 metres high will need to use the trade waste entrance at Newport Pagnell which involves going over the weighbridge, however there is no charge if you are a householder carrying your own waste.
HWRC Site Rules
What materials do the sites accept?
The HWRC's accept the following items for recycling or safe disposal:
- aerosol spray cans
- aluminium foil
- asbestos (New Bradwell only - see also disposing of asbestos)
- car batteries
- cooking oil
- fire extinguishers (contents must be identifiable)
- fluorescent tubes
- food and drink cartons
- food tins and drinks cans
- fridges and freezers
- garden waste
- gas bottles (contents must be identifiable)
- glass bottles and jars
- hardcore and rubble
- household and garden chemicals
- household waste
- large appliances (cookers, washing machines, etc.)
- light bulbs
- low energy bulbs
- mixed textiles and clothes
- newspapers and magazines
- plastic bottles and plastic food packaging
- small appliances (computers, table lamps, etc.)
- TVs and monitors
- tyres (not Bleak Hall)
- used engine oil
- videos, vinyl records, CDs and DVDs
- wood and timber
Unfortunately we no longer sell compost made from the Food and Garden waste scheme at our sites.
Last Updated: 10 October 2019