Disposing of household items and bulky waste
- Reuse - your unwanted items could still be of use to someone else. There are lots of ways to sell or give away unwanted things
- Visit the tip - remember Household Waste Recycling Centres are open and free to MK residents, but you need to book before you attend
- Book a bulky waste collection - see information below
- Hire a waste carrier - before hiring a company or person check our advice first to ensure your rubbish doesn't get dumped or fly tipped
- Hire a waste carrier or skip - if you are having a large clear out, you might consider hiring a skip
- Hazardous waste - check our advice first
How to arrange a bulky waste collection
Please call our Customer Services team on 01908 252570 or email email@example.com. You will then be provided with a price, date and time for collection.
For collection of large amounts of items it may be necessary for one of our officers to visit, in line with all current social distancing rules, to provide a quotation. Alternatively, drop off tems free of charge at one of our Household Waste Recycling Centres or consider hiring a skip.
What don't we collect?
We do not collect hazardous waste, car batteries, tyres, sheets of glass or commercial waste.
How much does it cost?
The cost for the bulky waste collection is calculated using a points based system, this may include disposal costs where applicable. Small items have lower points values, while larger items have higher points values. When you call Customer Service on 01908 252570 the cost will be calculated and confirmed before your booking is placed.
How to prepare for a collection
All items booked for collection should be presented in an accessible location within the boundary of your property closest to where the collection vehicle passes, such as a garden, driveway or bin store by 7am on the morning of your collection. Please note: collection crews are not, under any circumstances, permitted to enter any property, so your items must be left outside. The vehicles which collect bulky waste are separate from the vehicles that collect your clear and black sacks. We also collect white goods separately from other bulky waste. See full terms and conditions below.
If you live in a council flat or a private flat within a council block, please place items for collection in the communal waste area. Do not place items outside your front door or on the landings as this is in breach of tenancy conditions and fire regulations.
Terms and Conditions
By agreeing your bulky waste collection you are accepting the terms and conditions below:
- Collections will be made on the first waste and recycling collection day after a 48 hour processing period. This does not affect your statutory rights and a 14 day collection period is available by calling our customer service agents on 01908 252570 and specifying that you would like a longer cooling off period.
- You may cancel your collection by phone at any point within the 14 day period up until 5pm on the working day prior to your collection (Monday to Friday). If you have chosen a shorter collection period you will only have until 5pm on the working day prior to your collection to cancel (Monday to Friday).
- If your next collection day is not appropriate, you can choose an alternative day for a £10 fee (subject to the 48 hour processing period).
- When you book your collection you will need to tell us exactly which items you would like removed. Any items not included on the list will not be taken.
- Items should be suitable for our two-man collection crew to manually handle and should not be longer than 6ft in length to ensure they can be loaded onto a vehicle. Any items that are too large, or that have not been dismantled to a reasonable point, will not be removed and no refund will be given.
- All items booked for collection should be presented in an accessible location within the boundary of your property closest to where the collection vehicle pases, such as a garden, driveway or bin store, by 7am on the morning of your collection. Please do not put out bulky waste before it is booked for collection or before 5pm on the day prior to your bulky waste collection booking as this could be considered fly tipping. We are not able to enter your house/flat/apartment or any outbuilding to collect any items.
- Items for collection must be emptied of their contents - fridges and freezers should not contain any food items and wardrobes/chests of drawers should not contain clothes, etc.
- If you live in a flat please place items for collection in the communal waste area. Do not place items outside your front door or on the landings as this is in breach of tenancy conditions and fire regulations.
- We are not able to make changes to your collection once it is booked. If the items change you will need to cancel your collection and rebook it for the next appropriate collection day. This may be the week following your original collection.
- Quotations provided by a Council Officer will be valid for a maximum of 21 days. After 21 days a new quote will be required to ensure that the materials we quote for are as described.
- We reserve the right to refuse a refund where items have not been presented in accordance with our terms and conditions.
Last Updated: 15 April 2021