Complaints about Children's Social Care

We are committed to providing high quality social care, there may be times when things go wrong and you do not feel satisfied. When this happens, we want to hear about it, so that we can explain things and try our best to put them right.  Please do not worry if you make a complaint, that we will treat you unfavourably because of it, this will not happen. You have the right to tell us if something is wrong and we need to know. 

How can I tell you about my complaint, comment or compliment?

Complaints, comments or compliments all help us to improve the way we do things, you can tell us about a complaint, provide positive and constructive feedback or make a comment using our online form - this will immediately log your complaint or comment onto our system. You will receive confirmation and a unique reference number and password which will enable you to track the progress of your complaint or comment online.  Alternatively, you can call our complaints line on 01908 253817. 

Complaints, comments or compliments form

The complaints procedure

Stage 1 - In most cases problems can be sorted out quickly and satisfactory at stage 1, the Investigating Officer will look in to your complaint and what you think ought to be done to put things right.  Your complaint will be acknowledged within 3 working days, if you are a child or young person we aim to provide a full response within 10 working days.  If you are an adult, we aim to provide a full response within 20 working days. 

Stage 2 - If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you can request that the matter be reinvestigated at stage 2 of our complaints process. To request a further investigation please contact your investigating officer or the Customer Feedback Team within 20 working days of your response, setting out your reasons for dissatisfaction with the outcome at stage 1.  This information will then be considered, taking into account what has been investigated at stage 1 and your reasons for why this has not fulfilled your expectations.  The Customer Feedback Team will then confirm your complaint with you in writing.

An Independent Investigating Officer and Independent Person will be appointed and following their investigation they will each write a report which explains their findings.  They will aim to provide their reports within 25 working days, however, if they need longer this will be agreed with you and the extension should be no longer than 65 working days.

Following receipt of this Children’s Services have 10 working days to consider a response and write to you.

Stage 3 – If you are still dissatisfied you have the right to ask for your complaint to be heard by a Review Panel within 20 working days of receiving Children’s Services response.  A Review Panel is made up of an Independent Chair and two Independent Persons. 

The panel will look at all of the information held about your complaint and may ask to speak with individuals involved during the stage 1 and 2 investigations.  You will also be able to make verbal or written statements to the panel.  The panel will review how your complaint has been dealt with and consider what should happen next.  The Chair will write to you and the Director of Children’s Services within 5 working days of the panel being held.

Following receipt of this Children’s Services have 15 working days to consider a response and write to you.

This is the final stage of the complaints procedure.  If you remain dissatisfied with the Council's response following the 3 stages, you can contact the Ombudsman

RRC provides Milton Keynes Council with Independent Investigating Officers and Independent Persons for stage 2 and 3 Children's Social Care complaints. 

Consent and Data Protection

Anyone can make a complaint on your behalf, if you are unable to do so. They will need signed authorisation from you. Please be assured that all complaints, comments and compliments will be dealt with in confidence.

If you are a young person receiving Children's Social Care services and something is worrying you, you can contact an advocate to get yourself heard. An advocate can make sure you are listened to and help you to speak out. 

Mind of my Own 

Milton Keynes Council is using Mind Of My Own (MOMO) for hearing your voice and gathering your comments.

MOMO is a fuss-free way to put down your thoughts and send them to those who need to hear from you. This can happen anytime and anywhere.

Download the app or use it online

You can speak to your worker about how to use MOMO.

For any more information about MOMO, you can go to

Complaints from Foster carers: 

  • Complaints about a decision made by the service's Decision Maker or a recommendation made by the fostering panel will be managed in line with the Fostering Regulations 
  • Complaints about Milton Keynes Council’s Fostering Service not adhering to agreed standards and processes will be reviewed in line with Milton Keynes Council’s Complaints Procedure.
  • Complaints raised on behalf of a child or young person will be reviewed in line with Milton Keynes Council’s Complaints Procedure for Children’s Social Care.

The CQC cannot get involved in individual complaints, but is happy to receive information about our services which are registered with them at any time. You can contact the CQC at:



Care Quality Commission National Correspondence 



Newcastle upon Tyne


Telephone: 03000 616161

Children's Social Care complaints and compliments annual reports

Children's Social Care complaints and compliments annual report 2022 to 2023

General enquiries contact information

  • 01908 691691 - 9am-5.15pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and 10am-5.15pm Wed (Out of hours emergency phone: 01908 226699)

Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ