Complaints about the Conduct of Members of the Council

The Members of the Council and Parish Councils strive to provide a high level of service to the community. However, we recognise that sometimes things can go wrong

Applying the Councillors Code of Conduct 

Every local authority is required to adopt a Code of Conduct that sets out rules governing the behaviour of its Members.

All elected and co-opted Members of local authorities, including town and parish councils are covered by a Code, which is adopted by the Authority.
The Milton Keynes Council Code of Conduct (PDF, 117KB)

We are responsible for considering complaints that an Elected Council member of Milton Keynes Council, or a member of a Community, Town or Parish Council in the Milton Keynes area may have breached their Code of Conduct.

If you wish to make a comment, compliment, or complain about Milton Keynes Council services, please do not use this route but use the Council’s complaints procedure.

Standards Committee

The Standards Committee is made up of a group of people appointed by Milton Keynes Council to help maintain and promote high ethical standards. Standards Committees are made up of a mixture of councillors, members of parish councils and must take into account the views of independent people (who cannot be councillors or employees of the council or authority) when making their decision. 

Link to Standards Committee meetings

Please view the attached link for further information on the Standards Committee (PDF, 89KB).

The Milton Keynes Council Procedure requires the involvement of an Independent Person right from the outset of a complaint. 

The Standards Committee can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a Milton Keynes Councillor/Parish Councillor. It will not deal with complaints about things that are not covered by the members’ Code of Conduct. If you make a complaint to the Standards Committee it must be about why you think a member has not followed their Code of Conduct.

Once a valid complaint relating to an alleged breach of the Code of Conduct for Members has been received by the monitoring officer, it will be presented to a meeting of the Standards Committee (Sub-Committee) (Initial Assessment) for consideration / determination. You and the member against whom the complaint has been made will not be allowed to attend the deliberations of the Sub-Committee as the matter will be considered in private.

The Committee may resolve to:

  • Dismiss your complaint, with reasons;
  • Ask you for additional information, with reasons;
  • Refer your complaint to the Monitoring Officer for investigation (or other action);

You will be notified after the meeting and given information on any further stage(s) in the process at that time.

Once a complaint is submitted, the full complaint form will be sent to the person being complained about. Please indicate your consent for this on the form provided. If you do not consent, then your complaint may not be processed.

Details of how complaints and allegations against Milton Keynes Councillors and Parish Councillors are dealt with can be found at the link below:

Arrangements for Dealing with Complaint Allegations (PDF, 473KB)

If a complaint goes to a Sub-Committee hearing, the hearing procedure, found at the link below, will be followed:

Standards Committee Hearing Procedure (PDF, 374KB)

Independent Persons

Milton Keynes Council Standards Committee has a complement of 5 Independent Persons who are available to advise Councillors and Standards sub-committees, when complaints are received. 

Please go to the following link for a background on the Independent Persons currently appointed to the Council (PDF, 114KB).

Parish Councillors

The Standards Committee has two co-opted Parish Councillors - Cllr Phil Winsor and Cllr Manish Verma.

Please go to the following link for more information on the role of the Parish Councillors on the Standards Committee (PDF, 23KB).

Submitting a Complaint

If you have considered the guidance and still wish to pursue a complaint about the conduct of a member of Milton Keynes Council, a parish council or a town council, you must complete a complaints form. The Code of Conduct complaints form can be found online.

Once you have completed the form, you can submit it electronically by following the instructions.

If you have difficulty in submitting the form electronically please write to the Monitoring Officer at the address below to request a form:

The Standards Committee
c/o The Monitoring Officer
Milton Keynes Council
1 Saxon Gate East
Central Milton Keynes

Your complaint will only be considered if it is completed on the specified Milton Keynes Council Code of Conduct complaints form.