Complaints and Compliments

How can I tell you about my complaint, comment or compliment?

Complaints, comments or compliments all help us to improve the way we do things, you can tell us about a complaint, provide positive and constructive feedback or make a comment using our online form - this will immediately log your complaint or comment onto our system. You will receive confirmation and a unique reference number and password which will enable you to track the progress of your complaint or comment online.  Alternatively, you can call our complaints line on 01908 253817. 

Please do not worry that if you make a complaint, we will treat you unfavourably because of it, this will not happen. You have the right to tell us if something is wrong and we need to know.   

Complaints, comments or compliments form

Types of complaints that are dealt with using our official complaints procedure

Please use this form if you would like to make a complaint regarding employees of the Council. 

You can read our complaints policy here in full.

You can complain if you think we have:

  • Done something wrong
  • Behaved unfairly or not politely
  • Not carried out a service to an agreed standard
  • Not responded to your request for a service within our stated timescale
  • Not provided a service to the standard stated
  • Staff who are rude or unhelpful
  • Not followed our own policies, rules or procedures
  • Made a decision without consideration of all of the facts

What is not an official complaint

A request for information or a service:

An explanation of policy or practice.

A request under the;

If you wish to complain about how the Council has dealt with your personal information then please see our page about Accessing Your Rights Under Data Protection Laws

Accessing Your Rights Under Data Protection Laws

Are all complaints dealt with the same way? 

Some complaints have separate appeals procedures. These include complaints about homelessness, planning, parking tickets, housing benefit and council tax reduction. 

Other ways of complaining

You may also wish to take the matter up through your local Councillor

Our Two-Stage Complaints Procedure

Stage 1 - In most cases problems can be sorted out quickly and satisfactory at stage 1, the Investigating Officer will look in to your complaint and what you think ought to be done to put things right. You will receive an acknowledgement within 5 working days and we aim to provide a full response within 20 working days. 

Stage 2 - If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you can request that the matter be reinvestigated at stage 2 of our complaints process. To request a further investigation please contact your investigating officer or the Customer Services Team within 20 working days of your response, setting out your reasons for dissatisfaction with the outcome at stage 1.  This information will then be reviewed, taking into consideration what has been investigated at stage 1 and your reasons for why this has not fulfilled your expectations.  If it is deemed that the council’s response will stay the same we may confirm a final decision at stage 1, however if we agree that a further investigation is required then the matter will be escalated to stage 2. 

If you remain dissatisfied with the Council's response following the 2 stages, you can contact the Ombudsman

Consent and Data Protection 

Anyone can make a complaint on your behalf, if you are unable to do so. They will need signed authorisation from you.  Please be assured that all complaints, comments and compliments will be dealt with in confidence.

Milton Keynes Council Customer Service Privacy Notice

Time limit for making complaints 

We will not normally consider a complaint that is made more than twelve months after the individual first became aware of the issue they want to complain about.