There are a number of ways you might be able to get help with your Council Tax bill. This section highlights all the available discount and exemptions which are available for Council Tax purposes. It also provides information on charges where a property is empty and unfurnished.
Your household circumstances determine whether a discount or exemption may be claimed:
- A 25% Council Tax discount can be claimed if;
- only one adult lives in the household (or)
- one adult lives in a household where everyone else is disregarded for Council Tax purposes.
- A 50% Council Tax discount applies if everyone in the household is disregarded for Council Tax purposes.
- A 100% exemption applies if your household is an exempt category of household and there is no Council Tax to be paid.
Please be aware that making an application for a discount or exemption is not grounds for non-payment of Council Tax.
Payment must be made in accordance with your current bill until you have received confirmation that the exemption has been granted.
If two or more adults who are not disregarded live in a property, there is no discount.
If you require assistance with your Council Tax account or apply for a discount or exemption, you can nominate someone to do this on your behalf. You will need to provide a letter of consent, which includes their name, address, contact details and relationship to you.