Applying for a Blue Badge
This is a scheme which operates throughout the UK. The rules and criteria are set at national level by the Government but local authorities are responsible for managing the scheme in their area. Milton Keynes Council is responsible for administering the scheme, assessment of applications and enforcement for residents and organisations in Milton Keynes.
There are two types of eligibility criteria:
- Eligible without further assessment
People who may be issued with a badge without further assessment are those who are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following categories:
- Receive the higher rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance; or
- Receive 8 points or more under the “moving around” activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP); or
- Registered blind (severely sight impaired); or
- Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or
- Have been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
- Eligible subject to further assessment
People who may be issued with a badge after further assessment are those who are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following categories:
- Drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter; or
- Have a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
You can check your eligibility and start the process of applying for your badge online on the GOV.UK website.
If you prefer to complete a paper application form you can:
- Print off a copy (see Documents section)
- Or contact the Blue Badge Team by letter, email or telephone to ask for a form
- Or visit Milton Keynes Council, Civic Offices to collect a form in person.
The paper form is based on the online application and it contains questions which help us to decide if you meet the criteria to be eligible for a badge. It is important that you complete all of the questions and send us the necessary evidence to show how you meet these criteria. If you have problems completing your application, or you are unsure about any of the answers, you can find further information on Gov.UK Blue Badges or ask for help from the Milton Keynes Council Blue Badge Team.
To begin processing your application we will need:
- A fully completed application form
- An up to date 'passport style' photograph - for individual applicants
- The organisation's logo - for organisational applicants
- Payment for issue of a badge - the current fee is £10 and the payment can be by card, cheque or postal order. Please note we do not accept cash payments
- Evidence to prove your eligibility – this varies according to which criteria you are applying under.
- Eligible without further assessment - you will need to provide written evidence to show which of the automatic criteria you qualify under.
- Eligible subject to further assessment - you will need to show how you think you meet the criteria. Please attach any relevant and current supporting information that you may have. We may need to arrange an appointment for you to have a walking assessment by an Independent Mobility Assessor, this will be as soon as possible after we have received your application. We may also need to write to your GP or other healthcare professional for more information and we will not be able to continue processing your application until we receive the information that we have asked them for.
After the assessment
If your application is successful a badge will be posted directly to the address on your application form.
How long will it take to receive my Blue Badge?
If you are applying for the first time once we have received your completed application form and assessed your application we will issue the badge within 28 days. If you are renewing an existing badge we recommend you apply approximately 8 weeks before your badge expires to allow time for assessment of your application. We have changed the way that applicants are assessed for a Blue Badge and you may be asked to attend an Independent Mobility Assessment with an Occupational Therapist if you are not in receipt of a qualifying Benefit.
f your application is unsuccessful we will write to inform you and we will refund your payment.
If you disagree with the decision that has been made, or would like to comment on the way your application has been managed, the letter notifying you of the reasons why your application has been refused will give details of how to request a review or to complain.