Applying for a Blue Badge
- The Blue Badge Scheme
- Eligibility for a Blue Badge
- How do I apply or renew?
- After the assessment
- Terms and Conditions
The Blue Badge scheme is for people with severe mobility problems. It allows people who are registered severely sight impaired, or those with severe mobility issues, easier access to public facilities by allowing them to park nearer to where they need to go.
This is a scheme which operates throughout the UK. The rules and criteria are set at national level by the Government but local authorities are responsible for managing the scheme in their area. Milton Keynes Council is responsible for administering the scheme, assessment of applications and enforcement for residents and organisations in Milton Keynes.
This application process is for both first time applications and customers who have an existing Blue Badge.
There is a £10 charge when applying for a Blue Badge payable by credit or debit card. If you are not eligible you will be refunded.
There are three types of eligibility criteria:
You are automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you are over two years old and meet 1 of the following criteria:
- Receive the higher rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance; or
- Receive 8 points or more under the “moving around” activity for the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP); or
- Are registered blind (severely sight impaired); or
- Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or
- Receive a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1 – 8). You must also have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
- Receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP)and have been awarded 10 points (Descriptor E) for planning and following a journey. Please complete the Hidden Disability Blue Badge form. Here's the link to the form.
As part of your application you will be required to provide proof of your qualifying benefit
If you do not automatically qualify for a Blue Badge People you may still be eligible if you are over two years old and:
- Have a permanent and substantial disability that means you cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult; or
- You drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
As part of your application you will need to show how you think you meet the criteria. Please upload any relevant and current supporting information that you may have.
We may need to arrange a telephone appointment for you to have an assessment with an Independent Mobility Assessor
If you are the parent of a child who is less than three years old you may apply for a Blue Badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition that means that they:
- Must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
- Need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital
To check your eligibility and start the process of applying for, or renewing, your Blue Badge online please fill out the Blue Badge Application Form
If you have any problems using the online form, a family member or friend can assist you by completing it on your behalf. You can also call 01908 253449 to speak to a member of the Blue Badge team who will assist you to make the application over the telephone.
Before you start, you will need;
An email address, as we will use this to communicate with you concerning your application
- To make an online payment of £10 using a debit or credit card
- To upload a passport sized photo. You may use a scanned copy or existing digital photograph. Alternatively, take a photo using a smartphone or tablet
- To upload a scanned copy or photograph of your proof of identity - this can be a birth certificate/adoption certificate, valid photo card driving licence or a passport
- To upload a scanned copy or photograph of your proof of address within Milton Keynes - this can be a Council Tax bill or utility bill
You may also need:
- To upload scanned copies, or photographs, of your eligibility documents dated within the last 12 months (if applicable to your application), for example:
- Evidence of receipt of Higher Rate Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
- Document evidence of visual impairment
- Evidence of receipt of the mobility components of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) including the second page which shows the ‘moving around’
- To upload a scanned copy of any additional medical information in support of your application
- Your application will be delayed if you do not upload the required documents when you make your application
- If we ask you for some additional information and you do not send it to us within 4 weeks of the request, your application will be cancelled
By proceeding with this application, you are indicating your acceptance and confirmation of the Blue Badge terms and conditions and that you accept any personal information you provide will be collected and used in compliance with Data Protection legislation, as set out in our Blue Badge Privacy Notice.
If you have problems completing the online application, or you are unsure about any of the answers, you can find further information on Gov.uk Blue Badges or ask for help by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephoning us on 01908 253449.
If your application is successful a badge will be posted directly to the address on your application form.
If you are applying for the first time once we have received your completed application form together with all required supporting evidence we will issue the badge within 28 days.
If you are renewing an existing badge we recommend you apply approximately 8 weeks before your badge expires to allow time for assessment of your application.
If you disagree with the decision that has been made, or would like to comment on the way your application has been managed, the letter notifying you of the reasons why your application has been refused will give details of how to request a review or to complain
By applying for a Blue Badge you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions;
- I confirm that, as far as I know, the details I provide will be complete and accurate. I realise that you may take action against me if I provide false information in this application.
- I understand that I must promptly inform Milton Keynes Council of any changes that may affect my entitlement to a badge.
- I confirm that the photograph I submit with my application is a recent and true likeness
- I agree that, if my application is successful, I will not allow any other person to use the badge for their benefit and I agree that I will use the badge in accordance with the rules of the scheme as set out in the 'Blue Badge Scheme: rights and responsibilities' leaflet which will be sent to me with the badge
- I understand that I must not hold more than one valid Blue Badge at any time
- I understand that any medical information I supply to support this application is deemed to be "sensitive personal data" and I consent to its disclosure only to a third party who is responsible for the operation and administration of the Blue Badge scheme and other Government Departments or agencies, to validate proof of entitlement.
- I understand that where necessary the local authority will contact an accredited healthcare professional who is independent of my existing care and treatment, in order to determine my eligibility for a Blue Badge at both application and throughout the period it is valid.
- I understand that I may be required to undertake a mobility assessment with a healthcare professional who is independent of my existing care and treatment in order to determine my eligibility for a Blue Badge
- I agree that, if my application is successful, I will not allow any other person to use the badge for their benefit and I agree that I will use the badge in accordance with the rules of the scheme as set out in the 'Blue Badge Scheme: rights and responsibilities' leaflet which will be sent to me with the badge.
Last Updated: 13 December 2021