Role title: Library support volunteer
Responsible to: Senior member of library staff on duty
To help library staff provide high quality frontline services to library users. This includes meeting and greeting visitors to the library, accurately shelving library stock and supporting customers when in the library.
Volunteers should have an interest in library work. Duties of a library support volunteer include standing, pushing trolleys and reaching up to high shelves. This requires a good standard of fitness, mobility and stamina. You are required to have good skills in English and numeracy. Applicants will be asked to undertake a shelving test.
We expect that after appropriate training, the volunteer will be able to carry out the role with minimum supervision, including:
- meeting and greeting library users;
- providing basic assistance to customers, like offering help with self service, photocopiers and library layout. Volunteers confident in IT may choose to help with basic IT queries;
- shelving returned stock;
- keeping the stock in order;
- keeping the library and stock tidy;
- operating safely under health and safety legislation.
We would appreciate a commitment of at least two hours each week.