Milton Keynes East Development Framework
Draft Milton Keynes East Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document
Milton Keynes East (MKE) has been allocated for a residential-led strategic urban extension in Plan:MK. The allocation covers approximately 440 hectares of land encompassed by the M1 to the west, the A422/A509 to the north, and Moulsoe and the wider rural area to the east. A map of the site can be seen here (PDF, 1.6MB).
The allocation within Plan:MK, under Policy SD12, is for around 5,000 homes and 105 hectares of employment land along with a range of social, transport and green infrastructure provision.
In line with Policy SD10 of Plan:MK, a Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) is being prepared to provide detailed guidance on the development of the site. This SPD would be a material consideration in any future planning applications for development of the Milton Keynes East allocation should the infrastructure funding and delivery criteria in Policy SD12 be met allowing development of the site to proceed.
Public consultation Aug-Oct 2019
Milton Keynes Council is consulting on a Draft Milton Keynes East Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).
The SPD will support policies in Plan:MK and will be considered a material consideration in the determination of planning applications submitted to the Council.
The consultation runs from 7 August 2019 closing on 16 October 2019 at 5pm.
After the end of the consultation period, any comments received will be considered by the Council and the SPD will be amended accordingly. A report will then be prepared to reflect the comments received throughout the consultation. A decision will then be made as to whether or not to take the SPD forward for adoption, taking into account any outcome of the Council’s Housing Infrastructure Fund bid associated with Milton Keynes East (see below). If the SPD is taken forward for adoption, the final version would be approved by Cabinet.
The preferred method for submitting comments is via a Consultation Response Form which can be downloaded below or a hard copy is available in all public libraries within the Borough and at Civic. Please return your completed form to us via:
Or post: Milton Keynes Council, Development Plans, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3EJ
The following documents form part of this consultation:
Paper copies of all consultation documents have been placed in all libraries across the Borough and at Civic.
Delegated Decision to Consult on the SPD
A Delegated Decision was taken on 6 August on whether or not to consult on a revised draft Milton Keynes East Development Framework SPD for six weeks.
The SPD had originally been taken for a Delegated Decision to consult upon it on 18 June. That decision was called in and was considered by the Strategic Placemaking Scrutiny Sub-Committee on 11 July, where the Sub-Committee recommended:
- That the consultation period be extended to 16 October 2019;
- That suggestions for amendments to the Draft Milton Keynes East Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document be forwarded in order that consideration be given to including as many as possible in the draft Document.
As a result, a number of changes have been made and a revised draft Milton Keynes East Development Framework SPD is now going forward to a Delegated Decision on 6 August. In summary, the changes in the revised SPD are:
- Change terminology from ‘Locally Strategic Route’ to ‘Grid Road’.
- A new table (Table 4.2) has been inserted into the ‘Movement’ section of the SPD to explain more clearly the role, function and character of the various routes. Where possible, given the early stage of the planning process, this also provides some additional details, such as connectivity across routes and the potential junction strategy options. This table would enable the reader to better understand these points.
- A new drawing (Figure 4.5) has been inserted to further illustrate how the High Street should be a place designed for people and public transport. This shows that traffic movement would be appropriately managed to deter its use as a rat run for longer journeys and to prevent traffic from dominating the street scene and experience.
- Amended Figure 4.2 to show bus stops more clearly.
- A new section (4.6.1) on ‘Addressing climate change’ has been added to explain how the proposed structure and layout of the development (such as enabling mass transit routes, co-location of higher density development with a mass transit hub and district centre, provision and co-location of amenities in walkable neighbourhoods, provision of the linear park and strategic flood risk management) would contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation. The changes draw out these intrinsic benefits more clearly.
- Enlarged the figures within chapter 4 of the document so they are easier to read in print form.
Milton Keynes Council submitted a bid in March 2019 to the UK Government’s Housing Infrastructure Fund (HIF) to fund the early phases of infrastructure, including highways, a primary school and health centre, that are required to enable the delivery of the allocation under Plan:MK.
In anticipation of a successful bid, the Council commenced work on the Development Framework SPD. If successful, and in light of the consultation on the revised draft SPD, the Development Framework SPD would most likely be adopted towards the end of 2019.
MKE Local Stakeholder Group
The Council has established a Local Stakeholder Group to enable local community representatives the inform the preparation of the Development Framework and to be informed on the preparation of the HIF bid and associated technical work being undertaken to aid the preparation of the Development Framework. The group meets approximately every month to discuss a range of issues associated with the development of Milton Keynes East. During October and December, workshops with the Local Stakeholder Group took place to discuss the vision and objectives for Milton Keynes East, and what development there should be like.
Participation in the LSG is without prejudice to that organisation’s public position with regards to:
- The principle of developing the land included within the MKE SUE allocation within Plan:MK
- Any statements or views they express at the Examination in Public of Plan:MK.
- The Housing Infrastructure Bid or other such funding bids that are pursued by Milton Keynes Council to facilitate the development of the MKE SUE
The Terms of Reference for the group can be found here (PDF, 404KB).
Papers of the previous Local Stakeholder Group meetings, and the workshops, are published below. Papers for future meetings will also be published here.
If you have any queries or comments about the development framework or the Housing Infrastructure Fund bid, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13 March 2019
This is a public meeting and we encourage residents and other stakeholders to attend.
27 February 2019
29 January 2019
19 December 2018
21 November 2018
17 October 2018 Workshop 2
10 October 2018 Workshop 1
26 September 2018
22 August 2018
25 July 2018
Last Updated: 7 August 2019