Sherington Neighbourhood Plan
At the referendum on the neighbourhood plan that took place on 21st September 2017, 392 of the votes cast were in favour of the Neighbourhood Plan being made part of the Development Plan for Milton Keynes and 12 were against. The turnout was 49%.
A report will now go to Cabinet on 3 October and then to Full Council on 18th October, 2017 recommending that Milton Keynes Council makes the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan part of the Development Plan for Milton Keynes and use it when considering planning proposals within the Sherington parish area
Referendum information, August 2017
A Referendum relating to the adoption of the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan will be held on Thursday 21 September 2017.
The question which will be asked in the Referendum is:
'Do you want Milton Keynes Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Sherington to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?'
The Referendum area is identified on the map within the Information Statement which is available below. This is the same as the designated Neighbourhood Plan area for Sherington.
A person is entitled to vote in the Residential Referendum if, on 21 September 2017:
- he or she is entitled to vote in a local government election in the referendum area and
- his or her qualifying address for the election is in the Referendum area. A person’s qualifying address is, in relation to a person registered in the register of electors, the address in respect of which he or she is entitled to be so registered.
The Referendum expenses limit that will apply to this Referendum is £2,411.
The Referendum will be conducted in accordance with procedures which are similar to those used at local government elections.
A number of "specified documents" have to be published for the Referendum. These provide information about the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan and the planning system in general.
The specified documents can be viewed here:
- A copy of the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan, updated to include the modifications agreed by the Council following the examination. Sherington Neighbourhood Plan - Referendum Version (PDF, 2MB)
- The report of the independent Examiner on the plan Sherington Neighbourhood Plan – Examiner’s Report (PDF, 138KB)
- A summary of the responses to the submitted Plan: Sherington Neighbourhood Plan - Summary of Responses (PDF, 83KB)
- A statement by Milton Keynes Council that the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan meets the Basic Conditions and complies with the relevant legislation: Sherington Neighbourhood Plan - Basic Conditions Compliance Statement (PDF, 71KB)
- An Information Statement about the referendum, including a map of the Neighbourhood Plan Area: Referendum Information Statement (PDF, 1.1MB)
- A statement that sets out general information about Town and Country Planning, including neighbourhood planning and the referendum (information for voters): Sherington Neighbourhood Plan - General Statement (PDF, 121KB)
A copy of the specified documents may also be viewed in person at the following deposit points:
- Milton Keynes Council, Civic Offices, 1, Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes.
Open Monday to Friday between the hours 8.45am - 4.45pm. Please ask for the Planning Enquiries team.
- Newport Pagnell, between the hours of Tuesday to Friday 10am to 5pm and Saturday 10am to 1pm.
- Olney Library, High Street, Olney
Open Tuesday 1pm - 5:30pm, Wednesday to Thursday 10am - 2:30pm, Friday 1pm - 5:30pm, and Saturday 10am - 1pm.
- Milton Keynes Central Library, 555 Silbury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes MK9 3HL.
Open Monday to Wednesday and Friday 9am-6pm, Thursday 9am-8pm, Saturday 9am -5pm, Sunday 11am-2pm.
Decision statement following receipt of Examiner's report
Following the receipt of the Examiner's report on the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan, Milton Keynes Council has decided that the plan, as modified, should proceed to a referendum on 21st September, 2017. Further information about the referendum will follow shortly. The Examiner's report and the Council's Decision Statement, including the modifications to be made to the Plan, can be viewed by following the links below:
Milton Keynes Council (MKC) has received the Examiner’s report on the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan, submitted to MKC by Sherington Town Council in December 2016. The independent Examiner, Mr Andrew Ashcroft , has recommended that the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan, as modified by his recommendations, should now proceed to referendum covering the whole of the Sherington Parish Council area. He has also concluded that the plan, if amended in line with his recommendations, meets all the statutory requirements including the basic conditions test. A copy of the report can be viewed at Examiner's Report (PDF, 138KB).
The examination was undertaken principally by written representations. However the designation of one of the two proposed local green spaces was considered at a hearing held on the 12 April.
The Council will arrange for the modifications to be made to the plan after which the Neighbourhood Plan as amended will be published on this website. The Council will publish its decision notice on the Neighbourhood Plan and the referendum including a date for the referendum shortly.
Sherington Neighbourhood Plan examination
Mr Andrew Ashcroft has been appointed to carry out the examination of Sherington Neighbourhood Plan. As part of the examination, a hearing will be held on Wednesday 12 April 2017 between 10.30 and 13.00.
The hearing will start at 10:30am and will take place in the Sports Pavilion, Perry Lane, Sherington.
The hearing is open to the public, but participation in the discussion is at the invitation of the Examiner only. Invited participants have been contacted individually.
The examination will focus on:
- Paragraph 77 of the NPPF comments that ‘Local Green Space designation will not be appropriate for most green areas or open spaces’. In this context is it appropriate for the parcel of land concerned to be designated as Local Green Space in the submitted Plan?
- Is the parcel of land demonstrably special to the local community and does it hold a particular local significance?
For the avoidance of any doubt the hearing will not address the proposed designation of land to the south west of St Laud’s Church as a local green space.
Statements for Sherington Neighbourhood Examination
- Statement from Sherington Parish Council: Sherington Neighbourhood Plan Examination Statement (PDF, 963KB)
- Statement from Milton Keynes Council to the Examiner (PDF, 217KB)
Statement from David Lock Associates:
- David Lock Associates Hearing Statement (PDF, 87KB)
- Sherington Milton Keynes Ecological Assessment (PDF, 3.5MB)
- Sedlescombe Neighbourhood Plan - Final Local Green Space Report (PDF, 720KB)
Clarification in response to Examiners questions;
- Document 1: Sherrington Neighbourhood Plan Clarification Note (DOCX, 14KB)
- Document 2: Email from Examiner to MKC (DOCX, 14KB)
- Document 3: Combined responses from SPC and MKC (DOCX, 22KB)
- Document 4: The Article 4 document (PDF, 4MB)
Sherington Parish Council has submitted their Neighbourhood Plan to Milton Keynes Council following a round of public consultation on a draft version of the Neighbourhood Plan. Milton Keynes Council now has to publicise the Plan to bring it to the attention of interested parties. The Sherington Neighbourhood Plan is therefore being published for comments for 8 weeks from: Thursday 15 December to Thursday 9 February 2017.
For more information about the Sherington Neighbourhood Plan, the submission stage and how to make comments please see the Publicity stage information sheet (DOCX, 25KB)
The Submission documents provided by Sherington Parish Council are the:
If you wish to make comments on the submitted Sherington Neighbourhood Plan, these must be received by the Development Plans Team at the following address, by 5pm on Thursday 9 February, 2017.
By post at:
Development Plans Team, Milton Keynes Council,
1 Saxon Gate East
Central Milton Keynes
By e-mail at: email@example.com
Update May 2015
Following a Delegated Decision on the 21 May 2015, the area put forward by Sherington Parish Council in their Neighbourhood Plan Area Application has now been approved as a Neighbourhood Plan Area.
To comply with Regulation 7 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, Milton Keynes Council is publicising the following details:
•The name of the Neighbourhood Area: Sherington Neighbourhood Area.
•The name of the relevant body who applied for the designation: Sherington Parish Council
•A map of the designated area can be viewed at: Sherington Neighbourhood Area Application and Map (PDF, 1.4MB)
•The relevant Delegated Decision Report and decision note can be viewed at: 21 May 2015 Delegated Decision
Sherington Parish Council have applied to Milton Keynes Council, in accordance with the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012, to designate a Neighbourhood Plan Area for the Parish of Sherington. The Sherington Neighbourhood Plan is being led by Sherington Parish Council.
In accordance with Regulation 6 of the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 Milton Keynes Council is consulting residents and other interested stakeholders on this application. A copy of the consultation statement can be viewed below:
Consultation will run between 9 March 2015 and 20 April 2015. You can comment by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us your response in writing to the following address:
Milton Keynes Council
Planning, Economy and Development
1 Saxon Gate East
Central Milton Keynes
Please make any representations to the Council by 5pm on 20 April 2015.
The application, a map of the proposed area and a statement explaining why and how Sherington Parish Council intends to prepare a Neighbourhood Plan, and how the organisation and area meet the conditions of Section 61G(2) and 61F(5) of the Town And Country Planning Act, 1990 can be viewed at:
Please remember this is not a consultation on the Neighbourhood Plan, merely an opportunity to comment on the proposed neighbourhood plan area.
Last Updated: 16 November 2017