2024-25 Annual Rent Increase

As you may now know, from 1st April, the amount of rent you pay as a Milton Keynes City Council customer will increase. 

The increase figure has been reached in accordance with the Regulator of Social Housing and detailed in the Rent Standard using the formula of Consumer Price Index (CPI) plus one percent. The CPI rate measures changes in the prices of goods and services  that households consume and is used to help calculate social rent rates.

At September 2023, the CPI rate was 6.7%, so the new charge has been calculated as 6.7% + 1% = 7.7%.

This year is what’s known as a 53-Monday or 53-week year. Due to the way the calendar falls, your rent will be charged 53 times instead of the usual 52. This occurrence happens every six or seven years. This will have no effect on customers who pay their rent weekly as we charge rent every Monday, so this doesn’t change. However, if you pay by monthly Direct Debit, the amount you pay may be slightly higher to account for this.

Service charges may increase following the Rent and Service charge consultation that has been undertaken this year. Please be assured that we’ll only set service charges in line with our service charge policy. If applicable, your new charges for 2024/25 are explained in the personalised letter accompanying the annual rent increase letter. 

It’s crucial that you don’t update your Universal Credit journal until Monday, 1 April or soon after. It’s important to report the change as soon as possible after it’s taken effect, otherwise, you might miss out on payments. 

If you receive the Housing Element of Universal Credit you must inform the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) as soon as possible after these changes have taken effect on 1st April. You can do this by reporting a change of circumstances in your Universal Credit journal account.

If you receive Housing Benefit, you do not need to take any action, we will inform the Benefits department on your behalf.

If you pay by Direct Debit don’t worry, your Direct Debit will be adjusted automatically. Please check your Direct Debit has been adjusted as you’d expect, and contact us if you wish to query the calculation.

Universal Credit managed migration

The Government is writing to some people inviting them to claim Universal Credit. These 'migration notices' are part of a process known as managed migration.

If you claim Tax Credits and live in Milton Keynes

From December 2023, you will receive this government letter if you:

  • receive Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit 
  • are of working age (including couples with one person of pension age)
  • do not receive Housing Benefit, Income Support, Income based Jobseekers Allowance and Income related Employment and Support Allowance

If you receive a 'migration notice' do not ignore it. Your Tax Credits will stop after 3 months.

Why should I claim Universal Credit?

You should claim Universal Credit to protect your income and other things like free school meals, help with prescriptions, cost of living payment etc. 

What else should I claim?

Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Reduction scheme so:

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Universal Credit is replacing 6 means tested benefits listed above. All other benefits still continue.

Applying for Universal Credit

You normally have to apply online for Universal Credit through the Government website. But you can also make a telephone claim.

Apply for Universal Credit on Gov.uk

Please remember, If you are experiencing difficulties in paying your rent or there has been a change in your circumstances that will affect your rent payments, contact our team of experts on 01908 252937 (option 1).

We know that one in five UK adults (10.3 million people) have less than £100 in savings, with one in ten having no savings at all. Many are reported to be one broken appliance away from slipping into debt.

MKCC have various discretionary funds that provide additional support with rent costs to those already in receipt of benefits and as part of the 2022-23 budget setting process, MKCC have made a commitment to further support Council Tenants with these costs. MKCC recognise that working tenants who are not in receipt of benefit related rental assistance, will still be faced with financial pressures, and may not always be identified as a group eligible for wider support.

MKC are committed to supporting all Council Tenants, if you are a working tenant in a financial crisis, not entitled to assistance with rental costs, we may be able to provide assistance.  Read our Cost of Living support page for ways we may be able to help.

Your MKCC rent account

Your rent is due weekly in advance as part of the terms of your tenancy agreement. This means that your rent account should not fall into arrears in between your rent payments.

If you have an account with us you can pay your rent online now or you can set up an account it only takes a few minutes. We offer a wide range of other payment methods to make it easier for you to make the payment. Please find below more information about your MKCC rent account.

Difficulties paying your rent

If you can see a problem coming, do not wait until it arrives - talk to us as soon as possible. It is always easier to sort things out when arrears are small, and even when arrears are high.

At every opportunity we will discuss with you the circumstances and what has impacted your ability to pay. We will also try to put together a payment plan so you pay a realistic amount within a reasonable period of time, but we will always insist you see rent as the priority debt and request full payment as a starting point.

What happens if you do not pay your rent

It is important that you contact us to discuss your account and explain why you are having difficulties. The lack of payments or a payments arrangement plan will lead to enforcement action through the court, and you will be at serious risk of losing your home.

The steps we may take:

Stage 1 - Notice of seeking possession

A ‘Notice of seeking possession’ will be served on you. This is the first legal step towards taking possession of your home.  The notice will tell you the amount of money you owe. An agreement must be made and kept, to avoid stage 2

Stage 2 - Application to court for possession

We will apply to court for possession of your home. This will cost £355.00 and it is likely that this will be added to your debt. 

At the court hearing:

  • If you have not taken steps with us to resolve your debt, we will ask for Possession Forthwith, which grants us immediate possession of your home.
  • If you are working and engaging with us to reduce your debt, we may ask for a Suspended Possession Order (SPO). SPO means that you would be allowed to stay in your home as long as you keep up the rent payments and repay your debt in line with terms ordered by the Judge.

Stage 3 - Bailiff warrant application

Unless you make the ordered payments, we will enforce the order, by applying for a bailiff warrant. This will cost £130.00, which will be added to your debt.  This means you must give up possession of your home and a bailiff will evict you.

Stage 4 - Eviction

The only way to stop the eviction is for you to apply for a ‘stay of execution’, this must be done by you with the court.

If you are evicted for rent arrears we may pass your details to a debt collection agency, get an attachment of earnings if you are working or refer your case to a bailiff.

Please note

Former Tenant Arrears can affect your credit rating if you do not pay them. You may also have problems if you apply for re-housing in the future as you could be seen as having made yourself intentionally homeless or you may not be able to apply until you have cleared your debt.

Benefits available to people on a low income or not working

If you are unemployed or on a low income you may be able to get extra help. If you need the latest information about welfare benefits to help you to pay your rent, you can start by checking the Department for Work and Pensions website.

The rent is your responsibility to pay, even if you receive benefits. It is also your responsibility to supply any supporting evidence to the benefits agencies which may support your claim for housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit (UC).

Other sources of information and support:

If you are worried that you may struggle to pay your rent, or you have benefit or debt problems, we may be able to help through our money advice service if you contact our team, or you can review details of MKCC independent advice services.

Support we can offer

We have a dedicated team of Income and Welfare experts who are on hand to listen to your concerns and provide clear and compassionate guidance.

Even if you do not have a problem now, if you can see a problem coming, do not wait until it arrives – talk to us as soon as possible.

  • discuss your rent account with your income officer
  • find out more about any of the ways to pay your rent
  • advise you on benefits you may be entitled to
  • request a rent statement
  • advise you how to set up online payments
  • guide you on setting up your online rent account ‘My Account’
  • review you finances and maximise your income
  • direct you to independent, free organisations that can give you debt advice

Please remember, If you are experiencing difficulties in paying your rent or there has been a change in your circumstances that will affect your rent payments, contact our team of experts on 01908 252937 (option 1).

NEW - If you are a council tenant, or know someone who is a council tenants, who struggles financially please use our new Welfare referral online form.

Setting up an online account

Stage 1 - Activate MyCouncil account

  1. Go to My Council webpage 
  2. Once you are there, register for a MyCouncil account by completing a simple online form with your personal details (you will need a valid email address to register)

Stage 2 - Register to manager your rent account

  1. Login to your MyCouncil account
  2. Click My Accounts
  3. Click Account Signup
  4. Click Housing
  5. Click ‘I agree to the terms…’
  6. Click Next
  7. Enter your Name and Rent Account number exactly as they appear on your rent statement or letter from the Housing department.

    Once complete, click Validate Account
  8. If it’s all correct you will see a ‘Validation Successful’ message (If the details are wrong it will say ‘Validation Unsuccessful’ – if this happens check all your details and go back to step 11)
  9. Click Submit
  10. Click Continue
  11. Give a star rating and a comment, or click Skip This Step

You can now view your rent or leasehold account by clicking on Full Account Details. Each time that you login to your MyCouncil account, you can now view your rent or leasehold account under the ‘My Accounts’ tab. Full guides on setting up your account are available from the website.

If you need help or support registering for an online account, or for any questions, please contact us: Email: rents@milton-keynes.gov.uk Tel: 01908 252937 (option 1)

Dividing line

Other payments methods

At a Post Office, PayPoint or Payzone outlet

  • You can pay your rent at a Post Office, or at any shop displaying the Pay Point or Pay zone symbols, using the barcode below.
  • Simply present this page, together with your payment – no rent card is needed as the barcode contains all the information that is required, including your rent payment number.

By Direct Debit

Direct Debit is the easiest and most convenient method of paying your rent. You can choose when these payments will be taken from your bank account. The options are:

  • Weekly (on a Monday)
  • Fortnightly (on a Monday)
  • Four weekly (on a Monday)
  • Monthly (Any day between 1st and 28th of the month)
  • Sort Code: 60-14-55
  • Account no: 37171542
  • Account name: MKCC rent collection account.

Please ensure you use your 9-digit payment reference

(People who pay by Direct Debit are fully protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee)

Standing Order

You can make arrangements with your bank to set up a regular standing order for your rent payments. The bank details to set up the standing order are:

  • Sort Code: 60-14-55
  • Account no: 37171542
  • Account name: MKC rent collection account.

Please ensure you use your 9-digit payment reference

If you choose to pay by standing order, it will be your responsibility to make sure that payments reach the Council on time and that you make the correct payments.


Register now for your new online rent account at MyCouncil webpage. You will require your pay reference number to make a payment; this is a 9-digit number beginning with 8

By Telephone

You can make debit or credit card payments by phone at any time, day, or night, using our 24-Hour automated payment line; simply call on 0300 131 5555. You will need your 9-digit rent payment reference

Housing - Income Team

Housing Income Team - contact information

Milton Keynes Council, Civic 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ