Housing Solutions and Homelessness Advice
There is an incredibly short supply of affordable housing available in MK, the properties that are available to allocate tend to go to those households in greatest need.
There are many ways we can try to help including mediating and negotiating with your family, referring you and your family to support services, checking if your Notice to Quit is valid and legal, liaising with your Landlord and helping you, in exceptional circumstances, with arrears and debt advice. We specialise in ensuring that tenancies are not ended and can assist with many aspects of tenancy advice, even if you feel you are homeless today or imminently. If this fails, we will help you move into alternative accommodation in the private sector that is affordable to you.
Emergency accommodation is far from an ideal move and every effort will be made to prevent or relieve your homelessness.
If you are threatened with homelessness, then please contact us or complete our Housing Concerns Form
A Homelessness Solutions Officer will then contact you to arrange a telephone or video call appointment. We provide face to face visits in exceptional circumstances only.
The Council wants to make homelessness prevention a priority for all. Milton Keynes Citizens Advice supports and helps residents to address debt and housing worries and is available for a confidential discussion, More information is on their website.
Other advice and ways we may be able to help you:
- Duty to Refer
- Domestic Abuse and Housing - If your personal safety is threatened call the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency. MK Act or 0344 375 4307 offers support on our behalf to anyone who has or is suffering from fear and abuse. They can help you seek the right support from our services or support you in moving to a safer area. We urge you to seek support as quickly as you can. For more information see Domestic Abuse
- Rough Sleeper Service
- Unable to Pay your Rent /Help with Deposit and Rent in Advance (HPF Loan) - If you are renting in the Private Sector find out how the Housing Solutions service could help you. If you are a Council Tenant struggling with your rent you can find more information Paying your Council rent and Council rent arrears
- Property being Repossessed
- Friends, Family Asking you to Leave
- Care Leavers and Housing Solutions
- Armed Forces Support - How Milton Keynes Council supports the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant
- Strategies, Polices and Performance tables Find more information on our Homelessness Strategy and service