Unable to pay your rent, help with deposits and rent in advance (HPF Loans/DHP)

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant struggling with your rent please see paying your council rent and council rent arrears.

Private sector tenants

If you are renting in the private sector the housing solutions service will always try to assist with preventing your homelessness in the first instance.  We can usually assist with maximising your income, helping you get the right benefit entitlement, help with completing an online application for housing benefit or universal credit, supporting you with your income and outgoings and in exceptional circumstances assisting with paying off your arrears.

Finding an alternative property

If we cannot help you stay at the property, we can assist with finding an alternative property in the private sector and offer most households a homelessness prevention fund loan. This loan will help secure the property as deposit and rent in advance.  The service cannot be used as guarantors, but it does have very good relationships with landlords.

Contact us for help

Please contact us if you find yourself in this situation so we can work to prevent you from becoming homeless.

You can also get advice and guidance from

  • our housing benefit team regarding discretionary housing payment to top up your rent payments on a temporary basis.
  • Milton Keynes CAB who support and help residents to address debt worries and are available for a confidential discussion. You can find more information about their service on homelessness prevention
  • New free legal advice for people facing eviction or repossession. A new government-backed scheme providing free legal advice to help 38,000 people a year at risk of losing their home launches today (1 August).
Housing - Housing Solutions Service

Housing Solutions Service contact information

Postal Address: Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ