Council Tax Discounts
Single Person Discount
The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in your home. If only one adult, aged 18 or over, lives in a dwelling as their sole or main residence, the Council Tax bill will be reduced by 25 per cent. This is called a single person discount.
Temporary absences (i.e. a holiday or working away) would not qualify for this reduction.
Applications for discounts will be verified and subject to periodic review. The Council may use third party organisations to carry out such checks using financial and credit referencing information.
If your bill indicates that a single person discount has been allowed, you must tell Council Tax Department of any change in your circumstances which may affect your entitlement within 21 days. If you fail to do so, a penalty of £70 may be imposed.
Empty Property Discounts
The government made changes to Council Tax legislation which allows local councils to change some discounts and exemptions. From 1st April 2013, the following applies in Milton Keynes:-
- 100% discount – for properties that are empty and unfurnished less than a month. This discount replaced the Class C Exemption.
- 50% discount – unoccupied and unfurnished properties undergoing major repair work to render them habitable or where structural alterations are needed or taking place. The discount can be awarded up to a maximum period of 12 months. This discount replaced the Class A Exemption.
There is no discount for properties that are:-
- Unoccupied and unfurnished more than a month
- Unoccupied and furnished (e.g. second homes)
If you would like more information on the qualifying criteria, please contact us. If we give you a discount, you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances, which affect your entitlement to the discount. If you don’t you may have to pay a fine.
Certain people are not counted when looking at the number of adults resident in a property. They are disregarded if they are one of the following:
- Single Person Discount application
- Council Tax Discount Application - Student (PDF, 282KB) NB/ students studying outside the European Union will not qualify for a student discount or exemption
- Council Tax Discount Application - Student Nurse (PDF, 283KB)
- Council Tax Discount Application - Apprentice (PDF, 366KB)
- Council Tax Discount Application - Youth Training Trainees (PDF, 287KB)
- Council Tax Discount Application - Under 20 Years of Age in Further Education (PDF, 381KB)
- Council Tax Discount Application - Severely Mentally Impaired (PDF, 294KB)
- Council Tax Discount Application - Person in Detention (PDF, 363KB)
- Council Tax Discount Application - Carers (PDF, 369KB) NB/ cannot apply where the person being cared for is the partner, spouse or child (under 18) of the carer
- A Member of a Religious Community
- A member of a visiting force
- A long term hospital patient
- A patient in a residential home
- A resident of a hostel, night shelter or similar dwelling
- A member (or dependent) of an International Headquarters or Defence Organisation, or a diplomat
If you think you are eligible for a discount or reduction, click the appropriate link to get further information or contact us.
See also Disabled Person Band Reduction
You should advise the Council immediately any changes occur that may stop the entitlement to receive the reduction in the Council Tax bill. Failure to do so may result in a penalty of £70 being imposed.
Last Updated: 28 October 2019