Housing information and advice


Milton Keynes Council Housing

Social housing will not automatically be available. Advice will be offered regarding all types of alternative accommodation.

The council does not operate a waiting list for housing, it will be offered to those in urgent housing need. Currently Milton Keynes has a severe shortage of social housing and for most people the only solution will be the private rented sector. You can complete our Homeless Prevention Tool to find out if your current housing situation makes you eligible for accommodation. This is not an application for housing but if the outcome of the form suggests that we would be able to help you with your current housing situation you will be invited to either contact the council on 01908 253481 or visit the Council Offices and speak with a Housing Options Officer.

If you want help because you believe you are overcrowded the factors that we consider when deciding if you meet our criteria for housing are set out in Milton Keynes Council’s Housing Options and Allocations Scheme and the Housing Act 1985.

Existing Council Tenants may be able to find the help they need on the Council Housing - Rent, repairs and managing your tenancy pages.

Information and advice before you move

If you want to move, or need to move, it is important to try and plan properly.  Think carefully before giving up your home and make sure that anywhere you plan to move to is suitable and affordable for you.  You should not wait until a crisis to ask for advice.  If you think you are at risk of losing your home, we offer free advice about your options and your legal rights and we may be able to help you look at ways in which you can safely stay in your home. 

  • Shelter can offer advice, information and advocacy for people in housing need as well information to prevent homeless. 
  • Citizens Advice Bureau offer free, independent, confidential and impartial advice on rights and responsibilities. 
  • GOV.UK offer information regarding your legal obligations and rights when renting, buying or owning a home, plus information about what to do if you are homeless and where to get help if you have a housing dispute.
  • The National Homeless Advice Service aims to prevent homelessness and give accurate and timely advice.
  • Social tenants (in council or housing association properties) who want exchange their home can register on HomeSwapper.

Information and signposts to relevant services

Help with Private Renting

We can offer advice on Finding a private rental and the Homelessness Prevention Team may be able to help you with the upfront cost i.e. deposit and rent in advance if you are struggling with raising a deposit for private rented accommodation.

If you have problems of disrepair in private rented accommodation the council's Private Sector Housing Team works with owners and landlords so that they provide warm, safe healthy homes for all. For more information see our Private Housing and Landlords. Back to top

Keyworkers, Shared Ownership and Low cost home ownership

Back to top

Eviction, harassment and abuse

You have rights and there are laws to protect you from being evicted illegally and from being harassed by your landlord. To evict you, your landlord must follow the steps set out in law as follows:

Harassment can be defined as someone deliberately inflicting fear, violence or aggression on another person or group because of their race, gender, sexual orientation or disability. If you are experiencing harassment you should contact the police on 101 and get a crime log number, contact the council on 01908 252937 giving full details of harassment.  

If you are experiencing Domestic Abuse please see Domestic abuse and domestic violence, your housing options.

A forced marriage is where one or both people do not (or in cases of people with learning or physical disabilities, cannot) consent to the marriage and pressure or abuse is used. If you’re trying to stop a forced marriage or you need help leaving a marriage you’ve been forced into, then you can contact the Home Office Forced Marriage Unit on 020 7008 0151. Support is also available from KarmaNirvana  or call 0800 5999 247. This is a registered charity that helps victims of forced marriages and honour based abuse. Back to top

Relationship breakdown

If you are going through a relationship breakdown, and you think you might lose your home, you should seek independent legal advice. You should also look at this Shelter housing rights leaflet for couples who are splitting up. Milton Keynes CAB can provide you more information and access to other services. Back to top

Housing advice for 16-17 year olds

If you are aged 16-17 years old, the best place for you to be living is with your parents or extended family or friends, and as long as it is safe to do so, our priority will be to get you home again. You will be assessed by the Young Peoples Team, a Social Worker and a Housing Options Officer. This will be on the day of referral if you have nowhere to stay that night or by appointment. Contact Multi Agency Referral and Assessment Hub (MASH) Mon-Fri 01908 253169 or 253170 or Emergency Social Work Team 01908 265545 Back to top

Care Leavers

Milton Keynes council have specific duties towards care leavers who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. For further guidance refer to Care Leavers Code of guidance chapter 22The Care Leavers hub offers simplified information about the Leaving Care Act and the Options Service. Back to top

Supported accommodation for over 25's and Young Mothers

If you are over 25 with support needs, Orbit Supported Housing has two purpose built hostels within Milton Keynes which provide accommodation for single people over 25 with support needs and support them to work towards independent living. Orbit Heart of England’s Springfield House is a purpose built hostel in Milton Keynes for young mums aged between 16 and 24 years old. Back to top

Sheltered Housing, Supported Accommodation and Care Homes



Last Updated: 16 April 2021