South East Milton Keynes Strategic Urban Extension
South East Milton Keynes Strategic Urban Extension (SEMK) is an allocation within Plan:MK, covering an area of land approximately 198 hectares in size encompassed by Tilbrook, Browns Wood and Wavendon to the north, Woburn Sands to the east, the Green Sands Ridge to the south, and Bow Brickhill to the west.
The site, under Policy SD11, allocates the land for around 3,000 homes, 7 Gypsy and Traveller pitches, and a range of social and green infrastructure provision. The SEMK Development Frame Work Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) explains what Milton Keynes Council expects to be considered with any planning application and the detailed information that needs to be submitted. The SPD establishes the following for the allocation site:
- Land uses
- Disposition of land uses
- Development principles
- Infrastructure delivery
This SPD would be a material consideration in any future planning applications for development of the SEMK allocation.
Consultation on the South East Milton Keynes - Strategic Urban Extension Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) - Consultation now closed.
Milton Keynes Council is consulting on the Draft South East Milton Keynes - Strategic Urban Extension Development Framework (SPD) following the adoption of the Milton Keynes Local Plan, Plan:MK in March 2019. A Delegated Decision made on the 26 January 2021 authorising this consultation is available at the following link:
The SPD will support the implementation of Policies SD10 and SD11 within Plan:MK and it considers other relevant policies within Plan:MK, notably Policies SD1, SD9 and INF1. The SPD seeks to establish how the requirements of Policy SD11 will be met. This document will be considered a material consideration in the determination of planning applications submitted to the Council.
Public consultation on this SPD will run for a period of ten weeks, commencing on Monday 8 February 2021 until Monday 19 April 2021.
All comments on the SPD must be received before 5.00pm on 19 April 2021.
At the end of the consultation period, a report will be prepared to reflect the comments received throughout the consultation. Any comments received will be considered by the Council and the SPD may be amended accordingly.
The final version of the SPD will subsequently be adopted by the Council's Cabinet.
The preferred method for submitting comments is on a Consultation Response Form which can be downloaded below. Please return your completed form to us using the following email address:
Or post: Milton Keynes Council, Development Plans, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3EJ
The following documents form part of this consultation:
- Draft South East Milton Keynes - Strategic Urban Extension Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) (PDF, 128.4MB)
- Draft South East Milton Keynes - Strategic Urban Extension Development Framework Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) - low resolution version (PDF, 36.9MB)
- Consultation Response Form (DOCX, 30KB)
- Statement of Representations Procedure (PDF, 152KB)
- Guidance Note for Respondents (PDF, 139KB)
- SEA Screening Statement January 2021 (PDF, 1.2MB)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The following link answers some of the most frequently asked questions in relation to the SEMK allocation and SEMK Development Framework SPD:
Officers have provided two online Questions and Answers sessions. These were held on the following dates:
4 March 2021 6.00-7.00pm -
- View the recording of the session - 4 March 2021
- View the presentation of this session - 4 March 2021 (PPTX, 6.1MB)
11 March 2021 1.00-2.00pm -
- View the recording of the session - 11 March 2021
- View the presentation of this session - 11 March 2021 (PPTX, 6.1MB)
South East MK Local Stakeholder Group
A South East MK Local Stakeholder Group has been established following meetings and workshops with the Danesborough Forum (see below) where it was agreed that a specific group be established with the purpose of discussing the development of South East MK. The group is likely to meet approximately once a month to discuss a range of issues associated with the development. Participation in the Local Stakeholder Group is without prejudice to that organisation’s or individual’s public position with regards to the principle of developing the South East MK allocation within Plan:MK. Papers for the meetings of Local Stakeholder Group are published below, including the Terms of Reference for the group.
16 November 2020 Meeting
- Agenda - Meeting 16 November (PDF, 11KB)
- Amended terms of reference - Meeting 16 November (PDF, 172KB)
- Presentation - Meeting 16 November (PPTX, 4.6MB)
22 June 2020 Meeting
- Agenda - Meeting 22 June 2020 (PDF, 7KB)
- Approved minutes - Meeting 22 June 2020 (PDF, 137KB)
- Approved terms of reference - Meeting 22 June 2020 (PDF, 168KB)
- Progress Report - Meeting 22 June 2020 (PDF, 147KB)
- Concept Option 1 (PDF, 5.8MB)
- Concept Option 2 (PDF, 6.3MB)
16 October 2019 Meeting
25 July 2019 Meeting
- Agenda - Meeting 25 July 2019 (PDF, 59KB)
- Draft Minutes - Meeting 25 July 2019 (PDF, 248KB)
- Draft Transport Study Brief (PDF, 447KB)
27 June 2019 Meeting
- Agenda - Meeting 27 June 2019 (PDF, 72KB)
- Final Minutes - Meeting 27 June 2019 (PDF, 218KB)
- Final Terms of Reference (PDF, 297KB)
Local Stakeholder Engagement
The Council has engaged with the local Danesborough Forum which is a group local parish and town councils and other local civic groups who represent communities in and around Aspley Guise, Aspley Heath, Bow Brickhill, Little Brickhill, Walton, Wavendon, and Woburn Sands. The aim of this engagement is to enable local community representatives information about the preparation of the Development Framework and to be informed on the preparation of associated technical work being undertaken to aid the preparation of the Development Framework. Officers from Milton Keynes Council have attended Danesborough Forum meetings during mid to late 2018, and workshops have been planned for January 2019 to discuss the aims and objectives for SEMK, taking into account other development sites within the area, such as the South Caldecotte Strategic Employment Allocation.
Papers of the meetings and workshops with the Danesborough Forum are published below.
SEMK Workshops, January 2019
- Draft Workshop Report (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Workshop 1 Programme 16 January (PDF, 190KB)
- Workshop 2 Programme 17 January (PDF, 188KB)
- Workshop Briefing Pack (PDF, 2.9MB)
Planning Cabinet Advisory Group Workshops
The first planning Cabinet Advisory Group (CAG) workshop on SE SUE MK took place on 25 August 2020. Details of the workshop and associated documents are available on MKC’s CMIS system (direct link Planning CAG workshop 25082020).
Comments only on matters highlighted in the workshop around the principles for the SPD should be submitted by the 18 September 2020.
Bow Brickhill Over Bridge Engineering Feasibility Appraisal
The document published below is a draft outputs of ongoing wider work to analyse options for improving highway connectivity across the railway between the A5 and Woburn Sands in response to planned growth and additional rail services associated with East West Rail that will have an impact on existing level crossings in the area. The document below does not represent a project or proposal of the Council or any other bodies at this time, and forms only one element of a wider study that is still ongoing. In order to avoid misleading any person or persons, it therefore should not be reproduced or referenced without this wider explanatory context.
Gypsy and Traveller sites in England
A review of the best practice, guidance and recent permissions in relation to Gypsy and Traveller sites in England can be found at the link below:
Last Updated: 9 September 2021